Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Built-in CPU heat sink effective?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Barginski

Barginski

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:20 PM

Hello all,

I am having a custom gaming PC built, and I can't help but wonder about whether or not it will need a 3rd party heat sink for the CPU. The unit does have a built-in heat sink, but I have heard conflicting stories as to the effectiveness of it.

The system:

ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0

AMD FX-8320 8-core processor

8 GB RAM

240 GB SSD

1 TB HDD

750 W power supply

XFX R9-270X GPU

The individual building the system for me advised that the CPU's built-in heatsink will be sufficient, though more than one friend has told me that overheating may definitely be an issue. Does anybody have any input on this? I would rather invest in something now and not need it than I would go without it and realize it is necessary down the road. Any input is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:34 PM

ive done many a build, including gaming rigs, with stock cooling. If your case has good airfow and you don't overclock it should be fine. With that being said, aftermarket cooling will help the CPU run cooler and likely longer-though this may have changed but at least in the past aftermarket cooling voided the CPUs warranty. Something to check before installing a after market cooler.

with that being said, I tend to run third party cooling on most of my systems especially if they tend to be on a lot or in a hot environment.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:20 PM

It'll work.  But one common complaint with the standard AMD cooler is that it can get very noisy (it's fan will spin up to over 5000 rpm under high load).  There's no way that is going to be quiet.  It's not going to be as loud as the old Delta fans people used to use (I had a cooler once with a 7k RPM Delta fan, and it seriously sounded like a jet idling), but IMO anyway, a fan spinning at 5000rpm+ is going to be unacceptably loud.

There's a video here, although the sound in reality is likely to be different than can be put across in a video.

An aftermarket cooler will be much better performing, and quieter.  There's no need to install the aftermarket cooler at build time - you could fit it afterwards, but it might be easier to put it in during the build.  Most larger coolers need back plates fitted behind the motherboard.  Better cases have a cutout to allow you to do this without removing the motherboard, but if not then it's a mobo out job.  You also need to be careful of their size and whether they are too large for the case, or interfere with RAM heatspreaders etc.

Edited by jonuk76, 16 March 2014 - 10:48 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:34 PM

If you can afford it, Do it. Things running cooler in a pc is a good thing.

You wont need this but hey its what some people do

Do NOT try this at home kids.

A Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your Computer

http://youtu.be/Dk3V64ZSsEI

Setting up your PC for liquid nitrogen cooling

http://youtu.be/QmSBaizEqkk

Edited by NickAu1, 16 March 2014 - 10:40 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:58 PM

FWIW:  I have an 8120 and I use the stock cooler (with no complaints)...but I don't game and...if I did, I'd spned the money on an aftermarket fan/heatsink.  They don't cost a million dollars and the it's the cheapest insurance/protection for your system that you can ever buy.

You're paying for a "custom build" of a gaming system...I believe you should treat an important component like the heatsink/fan...as it should be treated.  The cost is far less than any of the other components you listed...and those componenets won't do you much good if your gaming overheats the system.

Louis

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:31 PM

+1 Upgrade it, you can get a decent one for $45.00 or less, for serious stuff: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=CKSQyJPCmr0CFWXl7AodizAAFA&Item=N82E16835186066&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-CPU+Fans+%26+Heatsinks-_-N82E16835186066&ef_id=UydpjwAAAbLn6HYk:20140317213055:s

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users