Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Power Cord Issues

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 HisGirlFriday

HisGirlFriday

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:17 PM

I am hoping someone can help. I got a Dell Inspiron 7537 in October. It's running Windows 8, has an Intel Core i7 processor, 8GB of RAM and a 1TB hard drive. My problem is with the power cord and I am getting fed up. A month or so go it suddenly stopped working. My computer was plugged in at the time and it suddenly went to battery only. Rebooting was useless. Unplugging and replugging it in resulted in it powering the computer for a minute or two and then it would go to battery power. I tried other outlets, same thing. I cannot remove the battery on this laptop, I'd have to remove the entire bottom case to get to it.

Dell has also been useless. Their tech support is 100% CLOSED on weekends and their site said I was not "eligible" for email tech support. My message to their Facebook page was ignored.

Now this is the weird part. Several hours later on the same day it stopped working, it suddenly began working again. It's been fine for all this time. I assumed it was a power issue in my home-my landlord is a cheap, ignorant jerk who refuses to do any work on this place. The building was built in 1948 and much of the wiring is original, and as we found out a year ago after an electrical fire, not up to code.

Anyway, it again stopped working today. Google searches have been a waste of time, I haven't found any information on this issue. I just don't know what it could be, and I can not tolerate it. I work from home and need my computer-without it I have no income. Is there any way to figure out what is going on??? My husband's laptop's power cord is working for him just fine, but his computer is 6 years old with an equally old processor and just 2GB RAM, so I am not convinced it's not a power issue with my home.

Is my computer defective? The cord? Or is it an issue with the power in my home? Please help if you can. Thanks!

Edited by HisGirlFriday, 16 March 2014 - 08:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:38 PM

Hi,

Have you considered that it might be a heat issue? For the system to work well and then shut down only to start working well again later could indicate a heat buildup which would shut you down. After it cools off it would again run like you expect.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:44 PM

I got a Dell Inspiron 7537 in October

The cord?

Or is it an issue with the power in my home?

October 2013? Send it back under Warranty.  Its faulty.  Especially if it's overheating.

Do not try anything that may involve removing any covers you may void any warranty.

Unless its a power issue with your house( only real way to tell is have somebody look at that). 

As your husbands pc has no problems I doubt it's the house.

Also invest in a surge protector.  To protect both pc's from electrical surges. This will not help you with the issues you are having now but may save the pc If there is a electrical issue in the house.

Edited by NickAu1, 16 March 2014 - 09:07 PM.

#4 HisGirlFriday

HisGirlFriday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:06 PM

Hi,

Have you considered that it might be a heat issue? For the system to work well and then shut down only to start working well again later could indicate a heat buildup which would shut you down. After it cools off it would again run like you expect.

Keep us posted

You completely misunderstood my post. I never said my computer shut down. My POWER CORD stopped working a month ago, then a few hours later started working again. Now, about a month later, it has stopped working again. That is my problem, the power cord. The laptop barely gets warm and it is always plugged into a surge protector. The computer works perfectly.

EDIT: As I was typing this the power cord starting charging the battery again. Absolutely INSANE. I am going to call Dell anyway. This laptop cost me over 1K and the cord should not be doing this sort of thing.

#5 HisGirlFriday

HisGirlFriday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:10 PM

The cord?

October 2013? Send it back under Warranty.  Its faulty. Even if it's overheating. Do not try anything that may involve removing any covers you may void any warranty.

Unless its a power issue with your house( only real way to tell is have somebody look at that). 

Also invest in a surge protector.  To protect both pc's from electrical surges. This will not help you with the issues you are having now but may save the pc If there is a electrical issue in the house.

The cord?

October 2013? Send it back under Warranty.  Its faulty.  Even if it's overheating.

Do not try anything that may involve removing any covers you may void any warranty.

Thank you Nick. As I was typing my previous response the cord started charging the battery again! Insane! For the record it's always plugged into a surge protector. I will be calling Dell anyway. For what I paid for this thing (over 1K) it shouldn't be doing this. The computer itself doesn't shut down and works perfectly, so I don't think it's overheating, it's just a very weird power issue.

#6 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:43 PM

May not do anything but in your place I would plug in a table lamp into the outlet you're using, turn it on and leave it to see if it goes on and off,  You could tell if the power was continuous.  I'm guessing your husband's computer uses a different outlet?

When I first started with the power cord and battery, the plug into the charger needed a tightening strap to hold it securely.  Never had a problem after that.

Edited by MissLizz, 16 March 2014 - 09:44 PM.

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,385 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:59 PM

As I was typing my previous response the cord started charging the battery again! Insane!

I will be calling Dell anyway. For what I paid for this thing (over 1K) it shouldn't be doing this

Sounds like plan to me. Do people pay over 1K for a pc , OMG the last pc I paid for cost me 80 dollars on ebay, Oh yes I use linux I dont need a 1K pc lol.

the plug into the charger needed a tightening strap to hold it securely.

And I bet thats where the problem is now.

They may not fix it under warranty now because of "needed a tightening strap to hold it securely." 

I only say may not as that is a non standard repair.

Clever, but I doubt it's approved by Dell.

Edited by NickAu1, 16 March 2014 - 10:59 PM.

#8 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:12 PM

The strap is part of the charger itself and the charger is a Dell part.  The strap comes out of the side of the charger.  I didn't know what it was for until my laptop did like the one described and I paid for service to show me what the strap was for.   It doesn't fit exactly over the plug but over the wire to keep the plug from moving.  

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,385 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:18 PM

The strap is part of the charger itself and the charger is a Dell part

Black  about 5 inches long?

I think its used to secure the black cord when it's rolled up. And not as a tightening strap on a broken /damaged/ not fit correctly plug, But I am only guessing here.

313pw8p.jpg

I paid for service to show me what the strap was for.

I guess it could be. Mine is velcro on the HP.

Edited by NickAu1, 16 March 2014 - 11:28 PM.

#10 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:25 PM

It would work for that too, but there's been no problem with overheating or anything and never a flicker of a disconnect, plus it was   a geek squad member who showed me how it was done.  Anyway, I was just passing on what worked for me.  It may not work for HisGirlFriday, although I hope it can.

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,385 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:45 PM

I do not have a Dell so I am only guessing at its use, I guess if that is one of it's official uses then it will be covered in the Dell Laptop Manual and if thats whats needed then ok, If not ,  the OP's pc is still under warranty and doing that may void it. It's better to be safe than. You know what these big corps are like any excuse to say its your fault madam not ours.

On my HP a similar strap is used to secure the cord when rolled up. Both the plug on the cord and the 1 on the charger fit tightly and there is no need to tighten the fittings with any strap. Infact on my HP it would only put undue stress on the wires and joints.

Edited by NickAu1, 16 March 2014 - 11:53 PM.

#12 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:07 AM

Point taken.  I hope HisGirlFriday  finds out exactly where the problem is (was) and lets us know.  We hope for the best and easiest solution for her.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users