Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleaning my hard drive

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 phillies237

phillies237

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:54 PM

I have 2 drives, a 120 gb SSD for my OS and a 750 gb hard drive for mass storage. Over time the SSD has accumulated other files other than the OS and is now only at 9 gb remaining. I'n not sure if this is a dumb question, but does anybody have suggestions for cleaning out or transferring unnecessary files to the mass storage drive? 

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:14 PM

or transferring unnecessary files

Yes. And your SSD may last longer, The less you write to it the better. Try cut n paste. Or Move the files here, Or what ever windows calls it, Eg select my music folder On the SSD and cut n paste it to the 750 gb drive. Only problem I can see is that your media player may not see the files on your other drive you will have to show it where the files are You can do that with Doccuments, Music, Photos etc, BUT you cant do it with installed progs.

When done do not DeFrag the SSD from everything I have read it causes more harm than good.

6 Things You Shouldn’t Do With Solid-State Drives

Edited by NickAu1, 16 March 2014 - 08:25 PM.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:33 AM

phillies237, need some additional information from you.  Where are your programs installed?  Do you use iTunes? Have you moved your page file to the data drive?

#4 briggs&straton

briggs&straton

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:19 PM

I was looking into what was eating up space on my hard drive and i noticed that there was a ton of stuff in my "temp" folder.  I'd look into that,  you will have to show hidden folders and then go to c:/users/your profile/app data/local/temp

See how big that folder is,  my was like 20gb of random crap.  Also you should look into downloading "CCleaner"  great program to get rid of un-needed files.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,248 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:31 PM

+1 on down loading CCleaner and run it you will be surprised just how many junk files are on it, that alone may give you the margin that you need.

Edited by OldPhil, 17 March 2014 - 12:32 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:53 PM

phillies237

As mentioned above, CCleaner is a good tool to remove "temp" files, but just stay away from it's "registry" cleaning feature, that can create more problems than it cures.

You can download the free version here. http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Edited by GB2064, 17 March 2014 - 01:55 PM.

#7 phillies237

phillies237
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:14 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. And no I don't really use itunes and I try to install most programs on my mass storage drive, but some programs find there way on it anyway.

Update: I just ran CCleaner and it freed up another 20gb !

Edited by phillies237, 17 March 2014 - 09:20 PM.

#8 Acarr

Acarr

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:56 PM

I reccomment installing Treesize, which is a free, lightweight program for exploring your files and folders. You can easily identify where space is being wasted on your hard drive. The two biggest culprits that I usually find are System Restore files and System Hibernation (Hiberfil.sys) files. These can be gigabytes, and even tens of gigabytes large, and if you have a dozen or so system restore points, you can easily end up wasting a lot of space.

If your hiberfil.sys file is gigantic, disable hibernation, restart, and the file should disappear. I don't recommend using hibernation to begin with, just because it has such a huge toll on RAM. If you must use it, you can always re-enable hibernation.

For your system restore points, you only need one or two good points. You can delete old restore point through CCleaner.

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,248 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:03 AM

Hibernation is not recommended for SSD"s,  Here is one of many articles to properly maintain you SSD, in theory an SSD should last longer than a spinner especially when setup right.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/computing-components/storage/12-ssd-tips-to-optimise-your-drive-s-performance-943984#null

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,735 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:15 PM

I just read the article in the link Phil posted and was wondering.

Move temporary files If you have another drive available

Could I move these files to live on SD Card for example?  If your pc supports Sd Cards. For Windows OS?

My pc has no HDD or SSD and I boot from both USB and SD Card and use them for save files Swap etc.. Oh yes I use Linux.

#11 Acarr

Acarr

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:26 PM

Could I move these files to live on SD Card for example?  If your pc supports Sd Cards. For Windows OS?

My pc has no HDD or SSD and I boot from both USB and SD Card and use them for save files Swap etc.. Oh yes I use Linux.

Do you mean you want to make the SD card the permanent location for your OS to write temp files? That sounds possible to me, I  mean, you're running Linux, anything is possible with Linux. :P  I'm not sure exactly how you'd do it though.

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,735 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:33 PM

Do you mean you want to make the SD card the permanent location for your OS

I boot my Australis Mate 1.6 ( Linux ) from Sd Card now. As I said my PC has no HDD so when I installed Australis I plugged in the SD Card and set it up on that. ( Please note your pc must support this The card must be seen in the bios  ), Same as my puppy linux it boots from USB. My Laptop cost me 50 bucks on ebay because the HDD was dead.... In the screen shot I saw it booted into bios and knew linux would boot on it.

My next pc upgrade is a 128 gig SD Card  for Australis. I am just too dam lazy to install a new HDD.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/128GB-RAMOZZ-80MB-s-SD-XC-128-GB-Class-10-UHS-I-Secure-Digital-Memory-Card-/171260981016?pt=AU_Electronics_Memory_Cards&hash=item27dff32f18

LOL I think I read some place " if it runs on electricity linux can most likley be installed on it"

This is 1 way of doing it.

http://youtu.be/FIVPlraNgXs

Do you mean you want to make the SD card the permanent location for your OS

It's my OS I paid for it And should be able to install it on a Potato if I want LOL

I own a Win7 ultimate disk that I got from a pc shop its not an upgrade or anything like that.

to write temp files?

Yes in Windows could this be done?

Edited by NickAu1, 18 March 2014 - 10:10 PM.

#13 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,248 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:36 PM

IMO why would anyone want to save temp files, I use CCleaner daily to rid my system of them and other junk.

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,735 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:48 PM

Phil I meant, On windows if you do not have access to another drive, Could you make windows use a SD Card to Reduce write-heavy tasks  on the SSD?

why would anyone want to save temp files

I agree, But some people do strange things.

Edited by NickAu1, 18 March 2014 - 09:49 PM.

#15 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,248 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:56 PM

Not questioning your thoughts, I question that part of the article.  Temp files, internet junk and other things need to go away on a reasonably quick intervals.

Edited by OldPhil, 18 March 2014 - 09:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users