Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ipad mini, Wireless hard drive & itunes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 123oliver

123oliver

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:40 PM

Hello

Help!  Please!

I have an ipad mini and want to store my music on a wireless hard drive such as the corsair or seagate and then play it on devices around my house using the ipad as a controller.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

So basically...

Music stored on wireless hard drive

played on hi fi (using an airport expresss) or sonos or multiples of both

Controlled by ipad mini

All ideas welcome

Oliver.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:27 PM

If you are talking about one of the WiFi enabled portable hard drives that you directly connect to the hard drive using a WIFi network that the drive creates, then no.

If it is an NAS drive that connects to you existing network (presumably by Ethernet, but maybe by WIFi, then it will depend on the app that you use to access the music.

If you have a computer, then you can store the music on the computer and steam directly from iTunes on the computer...and then use the Apple Remote app to control iTunes on the computer. You can use AirPlay to stream from iTunes on the computer to an Airport Express or AppleTV hooked to speakers or a stereo.

#3 123oliver

123oliver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:56 AM

Hi

Thanks for your help.

I was looking at the...

Corsair Voyager 1tb

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Voyager-Portable-Wireless-Drive/dp/B00C1ZDJ46

or

Seagate wireless 1tb

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Wireless-Mobile-Device-Storage/dp/B00AZIRNP2/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1395057226&sr=1-1&keywords=seagate+wireless+hard+drive

I do have a laptop but it is on it's last legs so I was trying to avoid having it running whenever I listen to music.

I'm open to suggestions on better set ups too.

Thanks

Oliver

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:33 AM

Hi

Thanks for your help.

I was looking at the...

Corsair Voyager 1tb
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Voyager-Portable-Wireless-Drive/dp/B00C1ZDJ46

or

Seagate wireless 1tb
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Wireless-Mobile-Device-Storage/dp/B00AZIRNP2/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1395057226&sr=1-1&keywords=seagate+wireless+hard+drive

I do have a laptop but it is on it's last legs so I was trying to avoid having it running whenever I listen to music.

I'm open to suggestions on better set ups too.

Thanks

Oliver

Keep in mind that those type of drives are intended to be used such that you "drop" your connection to your normal WiFi network and connect directly to a WiFi network that the drive creates. Traditionally, this mean that when you did this, you were ONLY connected to the drive, but not the Internet and your local network.

Now, from reading some of the reviews of the two drives you linked to, it appears that both offer an "pass-through" feature that allows you to connect the drive to your regular WiFi network in some way that allows any devices connected to the drive's WiFi network to then connect to the Internet (and presumably any device on your local network). Assuming this does mean that you can connect to local devices on your network (which in theory should be a good assumption), then it should be possible to do what you want to do in theory when using the "pass-through" feature.

In order for it to work, the app that you use to stream the music from the drive would need to support Airplay. Traditionally, the app that you use is an app from the drive's manufacturer. This seems to still be the case for the Corsair drive, but at least one of the reviews on the Amazon site seemed to suggest that any DLNA app could be used to stream music from the Seagate drive. Looking at the Corsair app in the App Store, it seems to suggest that it supports Airplay, so in theory using the "pass-through" option, you could stream music from the drive using the Corsair app and then stream that music to speakers connected to an Airport Express. For the Seagate, it appears their app also supports Airplay. If you want to sue a generic DLNA app with the Seagate, assuming it can in fact allow access to generic DLNA apps, then you would need to check the DLNA app on whether it supports DLNA.

Now, I have not used any drive that offers a "pass-through" feature, so I cannot say for sure if it will work as you want. It seems that it should based upon the way the "pass-through" feature is described, but I cannot be 100% sure.

I should also note that assuming the "pass-through" option works, any music that you play would be required to NOT be copy-protected. This should be true to any music that you bought through the iTunes Music store as Apple ditched copy-protection a number of years ago…but may not be true for any music that you purchased a long time ago from Apple, unless you re-downloaded it from the iTunes Store. Any music that you rip from CDs will definitely not be copy-protected.

Lastly, it does appear that the Corsair can be connected to your network by way of an Ethernet cable and used as a traditional NAS drive. In this mode, presumably, you can stream music from it using a DLNA app, but it is not clear if that is true. If so, then if that DLNA app supports Airplay, then you could use that mode as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users