Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Server 2003 Terminal Server Program Lagging Issues

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 me55enger

me55enger

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:28 PM

This is my setup:  

2 Server 2003 R2 32 Bit servers:

1 Terminal Server

1 Application Server

We have an application that is hosted on the application server.  This application is accessed from our remote locations through Remote Desktop to our Terminal Server.  The application is started locally on the terminal server, but accesses the actual program files on the application server.  

The issue I'm having is that it seems that certain terminal server users are having an issue where the application is lagging between screens.  I have some users (myself, another IT employee) that it comes up and goes between screens instantly.  The strange this is, some of the users that are having the issue are set up EXACTLY the same as my user, so to me, that rules out a permissions issue.

I have user Process Explorer, and although I'm new to it, I have discovered that the application runs a WRUN32.EXE file which seems to run at about 6,000 Private Bytes consistently when working correctly, but for the users that have the lagging issue, it seems to first spike to 10,000 bytes, hold there for about 10-20 seconds, then go back to 6,000 at the same time that the screen comes up.  I don't know enough about Process Explorer to dig deeper yet, so I'm looking for advice here.

I have tested this with different user accounts from outside the network, as well as inside, with the exact same results.  If anyone has any advice, or can at least point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:42 PM

Tough to nail down. Going by some help with Microsoft Troubleshooting RDP Client http://support.microsoft.com/kb/186645 Continuing to General errors and symptoms...http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc780927%28WS.10%29.aspx As Microsoft hints at first and I would concur that should be addressed first....

• You may be limited in the number of users who can connect simultaneously to a Remote Desktop session or Remote Desktop Services session.
  • You may have a port assignment conflict.
  • You may have an incorrectly-configured Authentication and Encryption setting.
  • You may have a certificate corruption.

Also to update the RD software take note of which versions others have, versus others that have no issues. Check the server error logs. Something else to check, I have noticed that large antivirus software suites such as Norton, Comodo etc can absolutely kill the RD experience and the profile won't load right and time out and use a default. The key is to lower how much things are running it will just kill the RDP protocol.

Edited by technonymous, 10 April 2014 - 09:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users