Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Powerdvd 6 Deluxe

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Al_graze

Al_graze

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 16 May 2006 - 04:08 AM

Hey guys,

I usually use DivX Player 6.2 or Windows Media Player 11, to watch movies but it has become a hassle when I want to take a screencap (reducing the acceleration, PRT SCRN, normal acceleration, paste in Photoshop C5, etc...) so I went with Cyberlink's PowerDVD 6 Deluxe (because of the convenient screencap button) and got all the available enhancement packs...

HOWEVER, the image is always very dark (Example) and unlike the aforementioned programs, I can't adjust the color manually... and none of the automatic settings (CLEV-2, Vivid, Bright, etc..) resolve the issue.

I looked around in the program's help section and it said "Click on Configuration, select the Video tab, click Advanced..., and then select the Color tab." yet there is NO in the advanced video properties ([color="#3366FF"]Look at This!)! It goes on to state... "For adjusting the Color Control, simply drag and release one of the options when in playback or pause mode. The counter to the right of each color displays the degree of modification." yet when in playback mode or paused, the [Video tab] doesnt even appear!!!

Anybody know of a way I can brighten the image in PowerDVD? I would really hate to have to uninstall it. Alternatively, know of any screencapture programs I could use without having to do the old long process?
  • Windows XP Professional with SP2
  • Intel III with 512MB of RAM
  • Video Adapter Intel® 82815 Graphics Controller (32 MB)
  • 3D Accelerator Intel i752

Edited by Al_graze, 16 May 2006 - 04:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:28 AM

Hi Al_graze.
PowerDVD uses what they call "embedded intelligence" during installation. What it really does is investigate your hardware configuration during installation and will automatically disable specific features if it sees something is not up to it's requirements. I believe your "Intel® 82815 Graphics Controller (32 MB)" is most likely the issue here. It seems even more likely since your DivX player and WMP, which require much less power, do not exhibit this behaviour.
You may be able to work around the missing color tab and dark playback by making changes directly from your display properties window instead, via the "settings" tab and "advanced" button.
For example, dropping colors down to "medium 16 bit" if it's currently "highest 32 bit", lowering refresh rates, etc. PowerDVD 6 requires your resolution set at either 1024x768 or 1280x1024 as well.
Take a look at the article below:

What are the system requirements for PowerDVD 6?

#3 Al_graze

Al_graze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2006 - 07:27 PM

Thanks for the response, HitSquad

I dropped down to medium (16 bit) colors, lowered the monitor's refresh rates down to 70Hz, and set it to 1024x768... I even restarted the PC in case it could help in some way. However, nothing changed, PowerDVD still exibited the same problems I decribed before: missing color tab still missing and the dark playback is still dark. If you have any other suggestions I would really appreciate your help. Thanx!

:thumbsup:

#4 Al_graze

Al_graze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 05:44 AM

The only reason I've kept powerDVD so far is because of the great screencap button it has... but I'm tired of the bloated software, I'm going to uninstall it... not even after installing ALL the enhancement packs in both v.6 and v.7 did the playback quality ever surpass that of DivX or WMP.

I actually found an easier solution (eg - no messing around with the video acceleration...)! Just use WMP and press PRTSCRN followed by Ctrl-i and save the image wherever you want! Such an easy solution, who wouldve ever thought about it? Ahhh, no more powerDVD playback issues hanging over my head... gonna go get a good night's sleep.

Thanks for everything HitSquad! Guess I'll see you around. :thumbsup:

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 17 May 2006 - 06:47 AM

Glad you found a solution that works for you.
I did spend a little time yesterday looking for a freeware DVD player with built-in screencapture abilities but didn't run across anything worth posting. There are plenty of free DVD players and free screencapture programs but going that method wouldn't save you any more time then the method you're already using, just a little more precision with capture areas. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users