Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flickering screen

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Ninjakillzu

Ninjakillzu

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:37 PM

I have been having a problem with my laptop over the past several days. The screen has been flickering and I can't determine the problem. I have looked inside my computer and screen, but I couldn't tell if anything was wrong. the flickering can happen at any moment and is black with a thin red pixelated line all the way on the left side of the screen. If I tap or bend the left side of my laptop, the issue seems to be temporarily fixed. I have a Samsung RC512 laptop with Windows 7.

Edited by hamluis, 17 March 2014 - 09:29 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:33 PM

Tapping the computer say to me it is a connection issue, something is loose or possibly a wire is beginning to chafe.  It may have a chafe issue within the hinge.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Ninjakillzu

Ninjakillzu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:17 PM

How would I go about fixing the problem, if it is a chafe? Also, the area where I tap is also right above the memory cards.

Edited by Ninjakillzu, 16 March 2014 - 06:25 PM.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,050 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:38 PM

When it happens move the screen back and forth to see if that does anything.  Have you made any recent changes, or has it been jarred maybe causing something to loosen.

#5 Ninjakillzu

Ninjakillzu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:22 PM

The only thing I remember is that I set my computer bag with the computer inside on the floor a little hard, but that was a couple months ago. The flickering only started a week ago. It has been sitting on my desk the whole time.

#6 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:26 PM

do you have a external monitor / LCD?
if yes, when your problem happen again please attach your exsternal monitor to your laptop and see does your monitor show perfect or your problem still happen.
if your monitor show no problem than your problem is at flexibel cable or LCD panel.

if your monitor still showing same problem than your problem is on VGA chip, bring it to samsung service center or notebook repair will be better.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#7 Ninjakillzu

Ninjakillzu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:36 PM

Yes I have one. I will reply when I have further information.

#8 Ninjakillzu

Ninjakillzu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:10 PM

So far it hasn't been flickering at all connected to another monitor. I noticed the cord that connects the power socket to the power adapter was not fully plugged in to the adapter, so I pushed it in more. I still don't know if that was causing the problem. I will keep testing to see if my screen flickers again.

Edited by Ninjakillzu, 17 March 2014 - 07:10 PM.

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,050 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:43 PM

IMO grab a new cable, they a very cheap around $12 on Ebay.  Go on youtube to find a flic on screen changing for your model, changing the cable is very easy takes about 20-30 minutes taking your time.  Have on hand some packing tape & scissors and a small phillips.  You will need to replace a sticky tape or two that secure the wire, small strips is all that is needed.  It is a very easy task once shown how!!!

#10 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:23 PM

So far it hasn't been flickering at all connected to another monitor. I noticed the cord that connects the power socket to the power adapter was not fully plugged in to the adapter, so I pushed it in more. I still don't know if that was causing the problem. I will keep testing to see if my screen flickers again.

sorry my mistake, I mean connect it to another monitor when your laptop screen flickering, if not flickering then dont connect it to another monitor as it will waste you time because it only a simple test to diagnose your problem when it happen, if you laptop screen flickering and another monitor not flickering then it will between flexible cable or LCD panel, if you laptop screen and another monitor flickering then maybe it your VGA chip that have problem (sometimes it was a chipset or IC in mainboard)

#11 Ninjakillzu

Ninjakillzu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:08 AM

Could a partially unplugged power adapter cause the flickering?

Nevermind, it flickered even after fully plugging it in.

Edited by Ninjakillzu, 18 March 2014 - 05:22 AM.

#12 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:08 PM

when it flickering again next time, please do a simple test with attach it to another monitor and see does it still flickering or not, if still flickering the problem is between mainboard / memory / hardrive, if not flickering the problem is between flexible cable or LCD panel.
and if you could provide a picture when you screen flickering will be great.

#13 Ninjakillzu

Ninjakillzu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:40 PM

I now have the information. The flickering does transfer over. Once I get a picture of what it looks like I will post it.

Edited by Ninjakillzu, 23 March 2014 - 02:40 PM.

#14 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,050 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:56 PM

Now with the flickering transferring to the monitor with must try another tact, it is down to the driver or the video section.  My first thought would be to delete the video driver and reboot windows will install its generic again during boot up.  Then you can try upping to the manufacturers.

#15 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:16 AM

I now have the information. The flickering does transfer over. Once I get a picture of what it looks like I will post it.

usually it was VGA chip that have problem if it still shown up on external monitor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users