Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Randy from Atl.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 randyga

randyga

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:08 PM

Hey there, I'm 65 and live alone in Atlanta, GA and just use this computer for keeping up with family and friends and doing some required book keeping and tax work associated with my subcontracting business. And, of course, searching the WWW for education and entertainment. But, I have a real fear that I'm going to hit the wrong keys and end up with a blank display and a smoking box just taking up space on my desk. It's funny because way back in "68 I actually worked a summer job as a programmer in RPG converting programs from Assembler language so the "new" model computers could run the programs from the old IBM 1410. This was back in the day when the computers read punch cards and used reel to reel tapes and giant disk drives, Unfortunately, shortly after that summer, I was introduced to the 'wonderful world" of pot and quit college to go to California to become a "professional hippie". And, I also became a father and divorcee at about the same time. In other words, I became an idiot whose education went from computers and such to how to survive in a variety of jails without becoming Bubba's bleep. The next 10 years are pretty fuzzy but somehow I ended up here and live a very low-key, stress-free life. That's why when I'm happily emailing, facebooking and surfing the web and some official looking message comes up and tells me if I don't update to a new program or clean the "7000" or so problems from my computer I will end up with the dreaded smoking box, I tend to freak out. Long story short, that's why I'm glad I found a site I can at least vocalize my concerns and maybe find an answer before I go screaming out into the streets. Thanks. I look forward to using this site often.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:04 PM

Hi Randy

If you suspect you need to clean this and would like guidance, please start a topic in the Am I Infected forum... and Welcome to the forum!!
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users