Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Program recomendations?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 VeridianKiwi

VeridianKiwi

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:45 PM

I'm having a hard time finding a good Driver updator and program uninstaller.  Can somebody recomend something?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:56 PM

Revo Uninstaller is a popular program, they have a free, and paid version.

But you need to be careful using some of it's features.

Available here.http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

#3 VeridianKiwi

VeridianKiwi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:15 PM

Thanks! what about a driver updator?

#4 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:30 PM

It is usually best to update drivers from the device manufacturer's website.

These links will give you some more information.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/driverssupport/f/driverupdate.htm

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/update-driver-hardware-isnt-working-properly#update-driver-hardware-isnt-working

I have not had good luck with programs that claim to be able to scan and tell you what drivers need to be updated.

I tried that once, and had to do a system restore.

Edited by GB2064, 16 March 2014 - 03:34 PM.

#5 MJPRCE

MJPRCE

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:46 PM

I cannot emphasize the significant importance of GB2064's advice and (the subsequent, very short) cautionary tale.

I used SlimDriver, something I would not recommend you do - particularly if you run an OEM system. Furthermore, with that particular program alone, I found several articles pertaining to incorrect drivers being added on the developer's own website. That way there be dragons.

There's a cautionary phrase my old man used to tell me - "A lazy man always makes more work for himself."

Manually updating your drivers for hardware is not impossible to do, although at times it can be a bit tricky (although Nvidia by far has been the easiest manual update procedure I've ever had to go through) if not long and arduous when locating the correct hardware ID.

Just be careful whatever you decide to do - because although it's handy seeing other people's problems getting solved, I don't think you want to find yourself being the one posting the problems :)

#6 VeridianKiwi

VeridianKiwi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:17 PM

Thanks for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users