Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is NCH software safe?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 580 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:32 PM

Not sure whether this belongs here or in "Other Software"?

NCH is an Australian company who makes among other things sound and video editing software.  In the past (rather long ago, on a long since retired computer) I have used their "Switch" program especially to reduce the size of voice-recorded files (meetings, etc.) to make them easier to send as E-mail attachments.  I was able to reduce the size of the files by a factor of about 100 with no noticeable loss of sound quality (these were voice recordings, not music!).  At the time I had no problems with that software, nor with the WavePad that I also used a little.

Recently I thought of reviving this practice, and before doing so scouted around a bit and found a lot of negative reviews about NCH software.  "Messy uninstall" and "Aggressive sales practices" covered many but not all of those evaluations.  But NCH was given top ratings by WOT and some other similar sites.  So whom to believe?

Thanks for any insight!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:22 PM

NCH Software provides a variety of software programs for audio, video, editing, ripping, graphics, and AVI/Mp3/Sound converters. They also recently released a program called Warp Speed PC Tune-up which purports to clean and optimize Windows registry. Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons.

I have read that during installation, NCH Software installs Google Chrome Toolbar by default and is known to bundle other on-demand components such as codecs. The NCH Software Privacy Policy provides a description of what information they may collect.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users