Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

EU to Require Standard Smartphone Chargers

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:31 PM

EU lawmakers recently agreed upon draft regulation which will require that all smartphone and tablet manufacturers use standard micro-USB chargers for any device they intend to sell in Europe. The move, which has been in the pipeline for some years, is designed with both convenience for device users and environmental concerns in mind.

Though many manufacturers have already moved to using this standard (with one notable exception: Apple), this European legislation would require all member states to write this into their national law by 2016 and will give manufacturers until 2017 to transition all new devices to this common standard. Although the law would only apply to EU member states, it is likely that this will have global significance since manufacturers will want to streamline the charging adapters they produce.

Some may argue that this requirement may hinder future development and innovation in charging ports, however, others will argue that this is a logical step.

Source

Edited by Casey_boy, 16 March 2014 - 01:33 PM.

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:31 PM

I think this will be more convenience for everyone. (Even when I'm not in EU.)

Thank you.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#3 sreez

sreez

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:31 AM

Some good news in the morning as I live in Dubai. .Looks like Technology & Science are most contributers for World well being and also destruction. ITS a known fact. Hence lets volunteer and work for better environment for our future generations. I would be very glad to hear from Grinler something about this wonderful news

IT Analyst. TATA consultancy.

Edited by sreez, 17 March 2014 - 12:32 AM.

LIFE is so simple, if you know the reason of your existence at certain place. Treat every step as first one and trust god, friends, relatives and everyone.

Its a simple magic trick given to me by one friend also and I am at this stage  :love4u:

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:38 AM

Though many manufacturers have already moved to using this standard (with one notable exception: Apple)

This way Apple can charge more for its chargers.

Oh we are sorry sir that is not an approved Apple charger.... NO  Warranty.

it is likely that this will have global significance since manufacturers will want to streamline the charging adapters they produce.

Cheaper for them to buy. Cheaper for us to replace. One charger one price fits all ... Great thing.

Edited by NickAu1, 17 March 2014 - 12:45 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#5 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:32 AM

It's interesting that Apple was one of the signatories to the Memorandum of Understanding, signed in June 2009, which commited to providing compatible chargers on the basis of the Micro-USB connector.

Are they now dragging their feet for some reason?

#6 Manish Nasa

Manish Nasa

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:00 AM

I remember hearing about it first ; almost 10 years back.

However the mobile handset industry has gone through a lot of fluctuations during this time.

The major players back then ; are almost fringe players now and the also ran's then ;  are dominating the market now.

#7 tellus

tellus

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:49 AM

I like the concept and convenience of a universal charger, but there are some problems with this implementation of the idea (as I understand it from the article and picture).

It's not a charger port - it's a charger/data port. That little mini-usb connector can't handle much throughput.  Every day bandwidth, file size, storage media speed and size, reliance on computers, etc. increases.  Really, I think any new standards should be designed to be able to handle more than we require right now, not less.

Something like this makes a lot more sense as a standard:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/5/4696874/galaxy-note-3-usb-3-0-power-connector-explained

I hope that's what they really mean - because it would mean we could use a little connector to charge and a dual connector to interface with the devices...  I would rather see my devices under-performing at USB 3.0 speeds for the next 10 years than under-performing at 2.0 speeds.

Something like this could also work in Apple's favor - they could just come out with a new interface that is a universal charger on one side and a proprietary data connector next to it.  Time to buy some new docks for your iPhone 6!

Finally, the implementation of the idea relies on a outdated idea of what these devices are... they're not really phones anymore at all - they're more like Hitchhikers Guides than phones...  In a few years that little micro-usb is going to be really outmatched by our devices.

#8 Meekles

Meekles

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:24 AM

I like the concept and convenience of a universal charger, but there are some problems with this implementation of the idea (as I understand it from the article and picture).

It's not a charger port - it's a charger/data port. That little mini-usb connector can't handle much throughput.  Every day bandwidth, file size, storage media speed and size, reliance on computers, etc. increases.  Really, I think any new standards should be designed to be able to handle more than we require right now, not less.

Something like this makes a lot more sense as a standard:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/5/4696874/galaxy-note-3-usb-3-0-power-connector-explained

The nice thing about micro-USB 3.0 is that it's compatible with standard micro-USB 2.0 plugs so I would think that this would comply with the mandate because it would be able to use a full micro-USB 3.0 connectors for charging and high speed data transfer but also be able to use standard micro-USB 2.0 chargers for just charging and even 2.0 speed data transfer. 

This picture explains it well: http://www.easycom.com.ua/data/storag/1004102257/img/Micro-B_USB_3.0.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users