Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help! my win7 desktop creates ghost folders!

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 thiextar

thiextar

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:56 PM

well, where should i start? i recently tryed out a gadget, that would have given me 4 desktops to switch between. but after i installed it, i noticed that it created alot of copys of already excisting icon that didnt lead anywhere and could not be deleted. so i uninstalled the gadget and the ghost problem was still there, i noticed that it had moved my desktop to a new folder, so i changed the desktop folder back to the one i had before.

that didnt help, and now i am stuck. i cant create new folders on the desktop, it just makes 2 ghost ones, i cant really do anything. i have tryed everything i know, so plz help! by the way, when i relogged, it deleted all of my icons and folders on the desktop. but the problem is still there.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thiextar

thiextar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:57 PM

oh, the gadget is this: http://www.gadgetsdownload.com/gallery/DeskBot/443/

#3 thiextar

thiextar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:04 PM

i noticed one more strange thing, if i click the desktop shortcut in "my computer" i can find both of the ghost icons,(named exactly the same and leading to the same place) but on the one in my  C:\Users\Victor\Desktop there the desktop leads to, it only finds one icon/folder. if i try to remove the ghost icons, they both say that they dont excist

Edited by thiextar, 16 March 2014 - 01:11 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:52 PM

Try performing a System Restore.  Choose a restore point prior to the implementation of the "gadjet". 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 thiextar

thiextar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:54 PM

how do i do that? and how do i chose a prior point? i havent backed anything up. my last backup was 2013 sadly

Edited by thiextar, 16 March 2014 - 02:02 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:59 PM

Click on the Start orb.

In the Search programs and files box type System Restore.

Under Programs right click on System Restore, then click on Run as administrator

When System Restore opens click on Next

You should now see your restore points listed by time and date, click on a restore point prior to the time your problem started, then click on Next.

Click on Finish to initiate the restore.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 thiextar

thiextar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:04 PM

the lates one in that many is 2013... that is a long time ago

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:26 PM

When in 2013?

If it isn't something like Jan. or Feb. of last year and you haven't added a lot of applications or programs it may well be worth doing.  The alternative could be very time consuming.

#9 thiextar

thiextar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:29 PM

i have installed lots of programs and stuff since, and its pretty early in the year. what would the other alternatives be?

#10 EwenB

EwenB

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:32 PM

What is the latest date in 2013 when you were sure that your system was in good order and restore to that date.  Anything yo have done or ibstalled to that date will still be there.  Any personal douments you have made since that date will also be there but if you have installed any programmes after that date they will be gone.

It is far easier to do it this way even if you do lose maybe two or three programmes because you will remember which they were and they are easily re-installed.

#11 thiextar

thiextar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:51 AM

after the date in question, ive installed about 6 10gb+ games and i only have about 8mbit internet speed, so i would rather not do it that way. is there any other ways to do this?

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:48 AM

If these games were downloaded originally and you still have the application of the download you should be able to save these and reinstall the programs form them.

Right click on the Start orb and click on Windows Explorer.

When it opens click on Downloads under Favorites in the upper left pane.

In the column titled Type you will find Application for the programs you downloaded.  

The easiest way to save these is to send the files to a flash drive.

Right click on the program name, move the pointer over Send to and move the pointer down to the removable storage.

#13 thiextar

thiextar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:30 AM

i looked into that, everything that i need to save from after the last date is over 0.5 terrabytes. and i dont have an external flash drive. i only have a 32gb usb stick, and if i only save the installers, they will need to download a bleep ton with only 8mbit/sec internet speed

Edited by thiextar, 17 March 2014 - 01:42 PM.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:42 PM

.5 terabytes equals 512GB, you should be able to copy these with two DVDs.

#15 thiextar

thiextar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:44 AM

i need another way, i have got to much perzonalised. im kinda not wanting to go back 1 year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users