Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp home computer won't look for drivers on the D: drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 johnofleeds

johnofleeds

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:41 PM

Hello I have an old xp machine and when trying to reinstall with the origonal disk it will not install the drivers that are required.The dvd disk activity light simply does not indicate that it's looking for files.I think that the registry won't go down the right path.Thank you john

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:22 PM

System manufacturer and model?

What onscreen error messages have your received?

Louis

#3 johnofleeds

johnofleeds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:39 AM

Hi Louis it's a sony vaio pcv-v1/g when re-installing I try to use the origonal disk but it won't look for the drivers -the pop up box tries to look in the i386 folder under drivers when selected the driver just greys out and cannot be selected.Thanks john

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:40 AM

Try a look at http://community.sony.com/t5/VAIO-Software-Other-Operating/PCV-V1-G-PCV6603-Drivers-source/td-p/5167 .

Louis

#5 johnofleeds

johnofleeds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:10 AM

Hi Louis thanks for that but couldn't have any luck.A while ago someone gave me a registry sort of guide to see if the registry was taking the correct route for it to look in the correct path-It went somethig like                                                                                                                   - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

-SOFTWARE

-WINDOWS

-D:

Have you any idea how to do that?Thank you john

Edited by johnofleeds, 18 March 2014 - 05:11 AM.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:34 AM

Which drivers actually need updating? Sony Europe only offer Video and Memory Stick Controller updates, which suggests there are native Windows drivers for everything else.

Anyway, have you tried copying the driver folders to the C: drive?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 johnofleeds

johnofleeds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:52 AM

Hi Platypus no I havn't do I copy the whole folder or the contents and where should I put them exactly?Thanks very much regards john

#8 johnofleeds

johnofleeds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:56 AM

Sorry the drivers that are needed are pci modem,videp controller(vga compatable)multimedia video and sound Thanks john

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:16 AM

Do you ever use a dial-up modem? If not then it wouldn't really matter.

If the CD is the same as the original zip package from Sony, there's an appropriately named folder for each driver. The video and sound have an installer to run. Are you sure they won't run from the CD?

To see if having them on the C: drive works, I don't think the actual location should matter. You could try just copying one of the folders to C:\  and try it there. If it works, copy the remaining folders as well. They could be deleted after installation.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users