Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Troubleshooting water damage to mobo

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Thankyounick

Thankyounick

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:02 PM

Was reinstalling windows on a computer that had adware issues when a a glass of water was knocked over on top of the computer.

Just a small amount of water leaked in the top of the computer and past the fan onto the motherboard. Unfortunately I think the motherboard was damaged immediately as the computer turned off. I assume the water shorted something out.

I unplugged everything and used a paper towel to dry everything. Removed the cpu, there was no water near the socket or on the CPU. I found a smal amount of water in the PCi slot for the graphics card, and a small amount of water on the mobo itself.

Symptom: I reassymbled the computer and the moniter is not getting a signal. Tryed DVI and AVG cables in both the graphics card and the mobo itself. Because I was in the middle of reinstalling windows I am having trouble figuring out which problems are related to each issue.

I had many other parts so I build a new computer with scraps. I had to use the RAM and HARD DRIVE from the damaged computer. I then tryed to turn on this "new" computer and the moniter still does not have a signal. This is a new motherboard and CPU that I have used in the past and I know are good. Could the RAM be bad? Could the HDD be a problem? The windows installer was half way done. everything was deleted and I was about to start the process of installing windows again, right as the water hit the motherboard.

I do realise the motherboard that got water on it is likely to need replacing.

Thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,177 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:43 PM

Hi,

In addition to scraping the motherboard you might check the GPU card. If that slot got wet it could have taken the card out. That might explain the lack of monitor signal.

If you have the parts start with the least possible build and see if you can get a signal. With each success add a component until you have a full system. Then you can start with a clean install of an operating system.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Thankyounick

Thankyounick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:00 PM

Thank you for the reply.

I agree it could very well need to be replaced. I am having a hard time determining though as I cannot seem to get my "other" computer to work either. The computer I put together with other parts seems to have the same problem. The moniter is not getting a signal. This is a different motherboard and gpu, not the damaged ones. The other pieces I am using from the water damaged build is the ram, and the hard drive. I am afraid that the HDD could be the problem; not really sure how to tell though.

(I have plugged both avg and dvi cables into the motherboard interfaces, as well as the interfaces on each graphics card.

Would I be able to take this hard drive to a working computer and finish installing windows 7 and load the drivers for the motherboard and what not and then bring it back.

If the info I posted makes me seem like I dont really know what im doing, its because I dont.

I have built a computer or two over the last two years that I used for gaming but that has been relatively easy. Troubleshooting is proving a bit more difficult.

Buying the new pieces isnt going to be an issue, I'm just not sure if it will help yet as I havent been able to rule anything as good, or as bad.

Thanks again, I will update as info becomes available.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,784 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:20 PM

The other pieces I am using from the water damaged build is the ram, and the hard drive. I am afraid that the HDD could be the problem; not really sure how to tell though.

On the "good pc" remove the ram from "the water damaged pc"  also remove the video card and the HDD, Then get any small linux live eg puppy and boot ( the GOOD  pc)  from cd/dvd , Puppy linux should boot the pc with the onboard grafix then you can see if the hdd is any good. then shut down and reinsert the "wet pc" ram and reapeat, you get the idea get a baseline pc that boots, With known working parts. Consider anything connected to the  "wet pc" dead untill tested in a known working rig and proven otherwise.

When the water hit the mobo it shorted out and who knows what other damage was caused to ram hdd etc.

Is there a fuse in the psu or on the mobo?

Edited by NickAu1, 16 March 2014 - 10:47 PM.

#5 Thankyounick

Thankyounick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:25 PM

I apoligize, I may have mis understood. I burned a copy of puppy linux and removed the ram, hdd, and graphics card. I am still unable to get the 2nd pc to boot anything. This is the pc that was made from parts. All known good parts, used only a few weeks ago. This is a mobo, psu, cpu and disk drive that have had no issues and were not associated with the water damage at all.

Should these parts + the puppy linux be enough to boot and get a display on my moniter?

I attempted and still got "no signal" on my moniter.

#6 Thankyounick

Thankyounick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:33 PM

used VGA cable from laptop to moniter. Cable and moniter are good.

I understand that there can be many different problems here and that compounds the troubleshooting. Would I save time if I take the damaged parts to a good pc and just start troubleshooting them? I have not used Linux before, but would not mind learning if I can figure out how to proceed.

Edit: On my way. Getting into linux now. Thanks for your help.

I think I may have had the ram installed in the wrong order

Edited by Thankyounick, 17 March 2014 - 08:19 PM.

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,784 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:49 PM

Ok.... See what I meant about a baseline pc that boots.

It is not important if you know Linux or not we just wanted to see if we can boot the pc.

If you want to learn linux, Once your pc troubles are over try it out a a live disc, If you do not understand anything on linux feel freeto ask how to in the linux section. There are a few linux users here that will gladly help you. Remember this there are no stupid questions, Only stupid mistakes. We were all novices at some stage.

Edited by hamluis, 21 March 2014 - 11:02 AM.
Removed unnecessary quote - Hamluis.

#8 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,177 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:48 AM

Amen !

Edited by hamluis, 21 March 2014 - 11:02 AM.
Deleted unnecessary quote - Hamluis.

Dick E

#9 Thankyounick

Thankyounick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:33 PM

Ok fellas. Verified hard drive and RAM are both good. Used RAM and HDD in other computer to verify they are good.

Bought new mobo; exact same one. Still unable to get signal from mobo to moniter. Did not use graphics card at all.

motherboard is Z77 extreme 4. There is an on board Led display for status codes. It shows 00.

This code is "Not Used"

My next guess would be the CPU. What is my next line of troubleshooting? purchase new CPU and hope it works?

#10 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,177 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:57 PM

Hi,

I'm going to say, yes that's the next step. You've tested everything else, or replaced it.

Keep us posted

Dick E

#11 Thankyounick

Thankyounick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:26 PM

Thank you dicke and nickau1. I bought a new CPU last night and everything works now. There were not any other parts damaged by the water.

In hind sight (and for future readers) I should have given more attention to the diagnostic code on the motherboard. That may have been enough info for someone to tell me to try a new CPU first.

This was not nearly as bad of an experience as it could have been. Thanks again.

#12 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,177 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:36 PM

Glad to hear that all is well now :thumbsup:

Please try to be a bit more careful with liquids near the computer   :wink:  :whistle:

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users