Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Home Ed. Freezes Loading Internet

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 libraryboy

libraryboy

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 16 May 2006 - 03:17 AM

I just opened the box on a new Compaq Prasario yesterday. All seems ok until I tried to access the internet. The system froze opening the home page in both IE & Netscape. My ISP is SBC: I have DSL. Nothing worked, no mouse, no ctrl-atl-delete, nothing. I have to hit the power button to reboot. I did not install anything from a SBC disk, the internet connect window popped up on its own and seemed to connect correctly.

Strangely the first thing that happened after connecting through SBC is an update popup from Java which I was able to download and install on the third try. I also was able to download a Google task bar.

I haven't installed anything on the computer; what's on it is all from the factory.

I called HP and they told me to reboot using F10. I did this and the system did a file recovery. The HP technician
told me he would call back after the files "recovered" but he didn't; at least while I was around.

I am using XP Home Edition.

Thank you for your help,

Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2006 - 06:43 AM

You actually have installed the update for java and the Google Task Bar.

Being that your system is freezing and brand new, support at the manufacturer's site or a demand for a replacement PC is in order.

How did you install the dsl connection? Did you use proprietary software or the new connection wizard/s built in to XP? How is the computer connected to the internet - wired or wireless? And, is it connected using a router or is it connected directly to the dsl modem?

Have you installed an anti-virus program BEFORE connecting to the internet?

XP Home is no more prone to this kind of problem than is Pro. There are other differences in the versions, but both should not have connection problems when brand new if set up correctly.

Edited by Enthusiast, 16 May 2006 - 06:46 AM.

#3 libraryboy

libraryboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:08 AM

The computer uses an external modem. I can only presume xp was able to locate the correct information for sbc internet as I can't locate my disk. There is no active virus protection as far as I know; I didn't install or activate any as yet.

Also I get no error messages of any kind. If I increase the "cache" size will that be of any use?

As soon as I get to my shop I will call HP again, maybe there is an almost painless solution.

Joe

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:37 AM

I suggest your installing the SBC software, after installing and updating a resident anti-virus and scanning your hard drive for malware. If you are relying on XP's firewall, make sure it isn't interfering with your browser.
Is the problem exclusively limited to problems loading your home page, or does this happen at other times?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 libraryboy

libraryboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:55 AM

The problem appears limited to opening either Netscape or IE. When I click on other icons on the desktop they all have fully opened with out freezing.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2006 - 11:08 AM

Does the freezing occur just as you are launching either browser, or can you launch it successfully and then it freezes when it attempts to find your home page?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 16 May 2006 - 01:38 PM

If I could I would like to offer a suggestion. Since the computer was just purchased yeaterday and is just out of the box, and you are having troubles like htis with it, have you talked to the store that you purchased it from about the possiblity of a replacement of just the main box. Some people call it a Tower, some call it a hard drive or CPU. Actually I would call my ISP - DSL provider and have them talk you thru setting up their connection on this computer first. Then if it doesnot work call the store where it was purchsed for a replacement

Just a suggestion.

Edited by ThorXP, 16 May 2006 - 01:44 PM.

#8 libraryboy

libraryboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2006 - 07:30 PM

I called SBC and they are sending a disk to load the DSL software. The HP tech man thinks it is a bad network card. The company I purchased the computer from want me to try the SBC disk first.

I did load or activate the Norton Anti-virus, but I need to run it. I may have to buy a new modem; the SBC tech didn't seem to know a lot about any of this.

Joe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users