Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

There is a lot of free ram but still it is lagging

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cursed Chico

Cursed Chico

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:45 AM

System is

xp pro sp 3 32 bit

2.8 ghz p4 478 pin

gigabyte 8ig1000p

128 mb gpu nvidia

3.5 gb ddr ram

I bought 2 gb ram because there was lack of ram. Now there is no lag of ram but still it lags when i open multiple programs, for example chrome firefox and webcam applications. 

For this 3 applications, cpu usage is around %70 80. %50 is for webcam. 

And it lags, responds lately.

Is it about low mb gpu or cpu threading technology?  If i make overclock or buy a 3.0 or 3.2 ghz , something changes?

The cpu temperature is low, around 30 40 c.

Maybe rams have low clock cycles. 1 gb kingston, 512 mb aidata, others are hilevel. cl5 i think most ofthem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:39 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:51 AM

To be honest, it's mainly the CPU.  It's just not powerful enough.  Things like H.264 compressed video (pretty much the standard for high quality video now) are very CPU intensive although newer graphics cards can be set to hardware assist decoding of this video.  Web pages with a lot going on can quickly cause old systems to struggle.  Trying to do several of these things at once is just asking too much.

I don't think overclocking, upgrading to another Pentium 4 CPU or playing with memory timing is going to make much difference.

An upgrade to a new graphics card might assist with certain video related tasks, but it's really not addressing the underlying issue.  This issue being that it's a dated system that is struggling to do what you want it to.

I would strongly consider looking to buy or build a new system.  It doesn't have to be anything fancy or expensive.  For example, an AMD dual core processor with much faster integrated video than you have now (A6-6400K for example) and performance that will blow away the Pentium 4 can be had for $60 in the US at least.  A system based around something like that could be put together for a few hundred.

Edited by jonuk76, 16 March 2014 - 08:53 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 billman87

billman87

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:53 AM

That is a very old system my guess is about 2008 at latest. 

Chrome is resource intensive as most modern software is.

I would expect issues trying to run more than one application at a time.

It could also be the HDD is not keeping up or miss matched RAM reverting to slower timmings.

Providing the information requested by hamluis will help determine if there is any can be improved without new hardware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users