Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not sure if I was scammed

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nsilvis

nsilvis

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:57 PM

I received a phone call asking for help on her computer. When I first answered the phone she put me on hold for about 30 seconds and start telling me what the problem was. It was about a black screen with the mouse working. Ask if I could repair it and requested they/she bring it to me. A couple hours later she calls again and the same thing happened, put on hold for 45 seconds to a minute. Asked me where I lived and said she was going to bring it to me. Then 15 minutes later she said she got called into to work and couldn't bring it. Could they take my phone, home address and first name and scam me some how??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:56 AM

Hello nsilvis

Beware of Phone Scamming.

Cybercriminals don't just send fraudulent email messages and set up fake websites. They might also call you on the telephone and claim to be from Microsoft. They might offer to help solve your computer problems or sell you a software license...Neither Microsoft nor our partners make unsolicited phone calls (also known as cold calls) to charge you for computer security or software fixes...Do not trust unsolicited calls. Do not provide any personal information.

Avoid tech support phone scams: What you need to know
Don’t fall for phony phone tech support
Avoid scams that use the Microsoft name fraudulently

Could they take my phone, home address and first name and scam me some how??

NOTE :This is an odd case you list, unless you advertise to be a Computer Repair person.

If that is the case, then you should confirm their name and contact details first.

Often these people may claim to be working for Microsoft Security contractors, but they are all scams.

Microsoft has no idea of you or any of your computer(s).

Your Internet Service Provider may have some idea if you have problems, but again contact is rare.

Always check who is calling, and you can contact your ISP if they claim to be the caller.

Have you had any further calls ??

#3 nsilvis

nsilvis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:18 AM

Nothing as of yet!!

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:02 PM

Keep an eye on your system for any minor unasked changes.

I would change a few passwords also, just to be sure.

#5 nsilvis

nsilvis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:44 PM

I haven't noticed anything. What I'm kind of wondering if the could do something with automatic pays that I have done through the phone?

#6 JoanneMT

JoanneMT

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:23 PM

I have had several very weird phone calls.  These people are trying to gather our information. When you gave them your address, you gave them your zip code.  Notice that is one of the new identifiers being used along with last 4 of social and birthday.  If your birthday is on facebook, and you filled in the social security number at the doctor's office, and you used a credit card or check to pay, they've got you.  I would order my credit reports (all 3) and look for new accounts or unauthorized activity. 

One gang offered to reduce my interest rates on my _____ credit card.  They just wanted the 8 numbers in the middle "for MY security", they had the first  and last 4 (they said).  I politely said bye bye and called my credit card co. immediately. They said the first 4 numbers are the same at each credit card company and gave me the above advice.

It has gotten so I don't answer unrecognized phone calls and if they don't leave a message and call back, I pick up and hang up right away.  Then they will call from a recognizeable number or leave a message if they are kosher.  Good luck.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:11 PM

Hi Joanne.

That is a new one for me, as I have never had any calls like that.

There has been no mention of birthday, or the 8 numbers in the middle, or you gave them your address.

I only asked "unless you advertise to be a Computer Repair person" and did not get any answer.

If nsilvis advertises, there would be Email / Phone / Home address / and other items listed.

If not I would think it is very odd that a "total stranger" calls to ask for computer repairs.

I do help people, but only people that I know, and they first give me 100% access to their systems.

Advertising is a big "no, no" for me, and I do not need to advertise any more.

#8 nsilvis

nsilvis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:32 AM

Sorry,

Been sick all weekend and I thought that I had answered you about advertising. I do advertise and I am deleting it today,  I'm very much so appreciate all that have posted on this and deeply appreciate bleeping computers. This is the best for info as far as I'm concerned. Being new at what I do, we learn from doing and like you, I don't answer any calls I don't recognize.

This was a really different kind of call and until I was done talking to her, I realized that I may have been scammed.

I have heard of so many different types of scams its crazy. We can't move without someone trying to take our lively hoods away from us.

I will call my credit Union and check all the other stuff out first thing this morning.

Thanks for the help on this!!

Nick

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:40 AM

Hi -

You are welcome to any help that we can provide.

If you have any other related problems, please post back here, as I will Watch this for a few days.

If you find unrelated problems, please post to the related areas and we will try to help you again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users