Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Two New Computers Have Big Issues!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MarineMilton

MarineMilton

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:28 PM

Ok so I'm new to computer building but instead of buying a next gen console I decided to build two new gaming computers. I used the site pcpartspicker to do a virtual build and did my research to make sure I got the parts I wanted. I ended up spending 800 dollars per pc (one for myself and one for my wife). The pcs are identical. So the parts arrived and I had help from two IT professionals while putting them together. Once together I installed windows 8.1 64 bit on both then installed drivers for my motherboard and graphics card. At first they were great, until I shut them down for the first time. The next time I went to start them up the start up time went from a few seconds to thirty minutes. I followed advice and turned off fast boot on both. The problem persisted. I then defraged and cleaned both. The problem persisted. I then went into the motherboard bios and changed the boot order so the hard drive was first to boot. Once again the problem persisted. It has now been a week and I'm at wits end as well as my wife. The problem has since gotten worse now they like to say there was a problem starting up and like to restart, which leads to an seemingly infinte loop of restarts. They also like to say they are finishing up some updates and restart. Which also leads to an infinite loop of restarts. Tonight I turned them both on at 730pm and they didin't successfully boot up til 10pm. Some one please help I'd like to think I didn't just throw 1600 dollars into the trash.

TLDR: My two new 800 dollar pcs are taking longer and longer to boot each time even after all "easy fix" solutions have been attempted.

Build of pcs: Processor- AMD Athlon 750k, Motherboard- MSI A88X-G43, Hard Drive- Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB, Video Card- Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X, Power Supply- N/A (Not sure what brand the new ones are the original ones were Corsair 500 watts but they didn't come with all the parts needed so a local computer shop installed two 700 watt ones instead), Optical Drive- LG Dvd burner, Operating System- Windows 8.1 64bit.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Trakeen

Trakeen

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:58 PM

One quick question, have you tried booting the systems up with anything plugged in besides a keyboard, mouse and monitor?  I've seen some weird booting problems with my own pc due to external hard drives and USB flash drives plugged in.  My normal boot time with nothing fom the basics takes just a couple of minutes.  With any of my external HDDs plugged in the boot time can go up to 10 minutes  (I've been trying to figure this out for 2 years now).

Also you can try testing internal hardware.  Remove your video card, and any other PCI/PCI-E devices.  Try booting the PCs with just the HDD connetected and one stick of RAM to see what happens, if all goes well, try connecting the power / data cable to the optical drive(s).  If things still seem to be ok, try adding another stick of RAM.

Just the first things I would try while diagnosing a slow start up.

#3 MarineMilton

MarineMilton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:37 AM

The computers do have a wireless adapter and a headset pluged in when booting in addition to the keyboard and mouse. As far a deconstructing the pcs, it will be difficult for me to do so quickly since I don't own any tools but I will try that as soon as I can. Any ideas on what could be causing it?

#4 MarineMilton

MarineMilton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:12 PM

I'm still having this issue my IT friend suggested it could be hard drive damage that occured in shipping. Does anyone else believe this to be a possibility? If so is there any way I can test the computers to make sure that it is the problem before I spend more money to fix them?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:06 PM

If I had to hazard a guess with both computers identical it would be narrowed down to Windows 8.1 and driver compatibility.

Windows 8.1 Pro x64 UEFI very slow boot and shutdown (20 pages)

One way to narrow it down to software or hardware would be to burn an iso of Linux Mint 16. It is a 1.2 GB download. WIndows 8 can burn the iso or you can use a program like iso burner.

If it boots up within a reasonable amount of time, I would bet that it is a driver issue with 8.1 Linux Mint has to run from the DVD drive so it will be slower than running from a hard drive but it should not take 30 minutes. It may be the hard drive but I doubt it as you are having the same problem on both computers and having two failed hard drives would be very rare.

The hard drives can be tested using the following program.  It is run in windows.

http://gsmartcontrol.berlios.de/home/index.php/en/Screenshots

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users