Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless issues - 0.65 when I should get 5.0Mbps

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 D&S+14

D&S+14

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:39 PM

Hello.  I've got a problem with my wireless adapter. It might be software, it may be hardware.  I'm not sure.  I pay for 5.0Mbps, but I'm only getting 0.65Mbps.  I have two other computer hooked up wirelessly to the same router, at the same distance, and they have no problems!  When I plug in directly via Ethernet, it works, I get my full speed.

I do at times get full speed, so I'm fairly certain that the adapter isn't actually broken.  It's all very confusing.  Any thoughts?  Should I remove one program at a time to see if there's a problem in there?

Is there some kind of software that I can use to analyze it?  Notably, surfing speed is more or less fine.  It's actual downloading speed that's the worst, and I'm not using any kind of software manager.

Edited by D&S+14, 15 March 2014 - 08:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:07 PM

What is the type, make, model of wireless adapter that you have? What were you downloading from what website? Were any of the other computers using the internet while you were testing? Any xbox's, playstations etc? Was the computer downloading updates in the background? My guess is that something was using the bandwidth at the same time you were running your tests. The other thing to check is the signal strength. If you get below 2 out of 5 bars you may start to have packet loss.

Edited by zingo156, 18 March 2014 - 02:25 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users