Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Terrible BIOS Issues! Password Protected!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lewisrowezer

Lewisrowezer

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:33 PM

Hey guys!

So Iv'e been having some serious issues with my motherboard the past 2-3 years or so! I'm currently running with the ASRock 970 Extreme3 AMD Chipset motherboard which came with a driver disk.

I'm having problems with the UEFI bios, I can't access it at all! It's password protected and Iv'e tried absolutely everything from updating the Bios to removing the CMOS battery for up to 2 hours and resetting the jumper cables! My suspicion is that either a virus has stored itself onto the motherboard itself, I don't know what else could be causing it! I can't even boot into a disk of my choice as i'm prompted for a password. Iv'e wanted to use a Darik's boot and nuke on my computer for a long time but I can't because this password is limiting me from doing things to my PC, including overclocking, tweaking, etc..

I would really appreciate it if anyone would reply to this as Iv'e tried the only things I know of!

Thank you :)

(Motherboard specifications attached)

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:56 PM

When you pulled the CMOS battery, was the power cable still attached? Remove the power cable. Remove the CMOS battery then hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the battery then clear the CMOS using the jumper on pins 2 & 3 as shown. Attach the power cable and reboot. When you said jumper cables, were talking about the plastic jumper?

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/433012/Asrock-970-Extreme3-R2-0.html?page=28

#3 Lewisrowezer

Lewisrowezer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:40 PM

When you pulled the CMOS battery, was the power cable still attached? Remove the power cable. Remove the CMOS battery then hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the battery then clear the CMOS using the jumper on pins 2 & 3 as shown. Attach the power cable and reboot. When you said jumper cables, were talking about the plastic jumper?

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/433012/Asrock-970-Extreme3-R2-0.html?page=28

So I followed exactly what you've said, and when I try and start up the screen is black and there is no display. Could this be because I haven't put the jumper back to normal?

#4 Lewisrowezer

Lewisrowezer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:06 PM

I've sorted it completely! I put the jumper back to its original position and viola! Thank you so much - this motherboard has been a nightmare!

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:54 AM

Glad it got sorted out for you. I am sorry, I should have been more clear and said to put the jumper back to the original position.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users