Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help pinpointing problem with Desktop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TheViper4Life

TheViper4Life

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:09 PM

Hello, first post here...was directed here by someone else who thought you may be able to help me out. :)

Give you a little story first, my desktop has been down and out for a couple years now. Basically what happened a couple years ago was that I was posting on a website and all of the sudden the desktop was just...off. No shut down, no blue screen, just went from on...to off in a split second. And unfortunately it never turned back on again. 

I assumed at the time it was just the power supply...considering I had a bad habit of never turning the computer off (I hated waiting for it to start up so I just left it on 24/7). So I managed to buy a new Power Supply for it...but that seemed to only fix half the problem. Before the new power supply the computer wouldn't do anything...after getting the Power Supply, the power button on the front would come on in it's standby state (the light would be orange instead of white). You could hear and see the power supply was working I can even eject the DVD disc tray...but the computer doesn't actually start up at all. 

I've also noticed that the little fan over the graphics card won't turn unless I give it a little flick myself. Which leads me to believe this problem may either be the graphics card or the entire motherboard. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I wish I could give you guys the full specs, but honestly it's been so long I don't remember it all. I can tell you it's a Dell Studio 540, with a 1.2TB HDD (Dual 640's), but that's about all I can give you right now. I'd love to try and actually fix it if it's all possible.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:48 AM

Have you double checked the power supply connections to the motherboard?

#3 TheViper4Life

TheViper4Life
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:36 PM

Have you double checked the power supply connections to the motherboard?

Yep, I've...Quintuple checked it lol. 

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,770 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:28 PM

It seems funny that a slight impact will set that off.  Yes, the video card could have taken out the original power supply and some traces on the MOBO.  A serious inspection of the board from the PS connections to the plugin card connectors.  It has been a boon to some who have found bulging and ruptured capacitors to be the fault.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users