Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer is crashing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 paddlethis

paddlethis

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:21 PM

Hey everyone this has been happening to me loads lately my computer will just crash usually when im raiding in the middle of the boss encounter while I am playing world of warcraft and its getting beyond annoying now :/

Running 
windows 7 ultimate 
service pack 1
AMD FX™-4100 Quad-Core Processor 3.6Ghz
8GB RAM
64 bit operating system
CX500M Power supply 
Asus GTX 650TI 1GB

that's my specifications, it only happens when im playing world of warcraft never any other game im really stuck for answers as my computer knowledge isn't brilliant 

thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:49 PM

First of all - Welcome to BC !

When you say 'crash in the middle of a little light raiding' do you mean there is a sort of click and the computer literally stops dead, no blue screen, nothing, just dead ?

If this is the case it is almost certainly thermal shutdown due to overheating either of the CPU or your graphics card. The No. 1 cause of this is accumulated dust and dirt; the No. 2 cause is failure of the thermal bond between either the CPU or the GPU and their heatsinks. Happily, the first is easier to deal with and much more common. But to make sure, download and run 'Speccy (free !) from www.piriiform.com. Run the computer for a while to let it warm up before you run Speccy.

Get hold of a can of compressed air and a small soft brush. Take the side off your computer and clean the fans, heatsink grids and anything else that has accumulated 'stuff'. Touch the frame of the case before you go into the cabinet, and use something  - bit of wire, pencil, whatever - to stop the fans spinning when you blast them with air. If it is really dirty, once you have loosened off the dirt you may need to vacuum it out, but don't take the nozzle too close to the electronics. General opinion here is that this can cause static problems. Having said that, I have taken a vacuum to umpteen computers, but then, maybe I have been lucky !

If you find you need to remove any of the heatsinks to get at fans and grilles, then you will need to replace the thermal paste that forms a bond between the mating surfaces. You should be able to get this in any electronics store and it is widely available on-line - look for 'heatsink compound' or 'thermal paste'. Clean both surfaces - a soft rag and iso-propyl alcohol for choice - but get them clean, then apply a thin even film of new paste to one surface and clamp them up again.

I nearly forgot - when you take the side off your computer, fire it up just to check visually that all the fans are actually spinning !

You will probably find that cleaning will be sufficient for your needs. As a guide, if Speccy shows a temperature above 75C for either the CPU or GPU, it is getting too warm.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 paddlethis

paddlethis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:03 PM

Thanks for the info I will try your thoughts I was thinking it's a over heating issue but wasn't sure thank you again

#4 Chris Blaze

Chris Blaze

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:44 PM

Chris is right, that could be the issue. But if the issue persists, and you have been getting a stop error (blue screen), I suggest you get the information off the screen. Now you might notice that the blue screen shows up too fast to even read, and then the computer shuts down. To keep the computer from automatically shutting down so you are able to get the details down, go to the Start Panel. Right click "Computer" and click "Properties". On the left, click "Advanced System Settings". A "System Properties" window will show up. Click the Advanced tab and under "Startup and Recovery", click the Settings button. On the Window that pops up, uncheck the "Automatically Restart" box under "System Failure". If you have another blue screen (if that is your problem), jot down the information and post it. I won't be able to interpret it well, but others might be able to. I hope you can successfully fix your problem though! :bananas:

#5 paddlethis

paddlethis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:06 AM

I'm not getting a blue screen just shut down I will have to run wow again and hope it's fixed the situation

#6 Chris Blaze

Chris Blaze

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:11 PM

Good luck!

#7 paddlethis

paddlethis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:09 AM

I was thinking to upgrading my fans to better ones but im getting confused what ones I can use can one of you lovely people suggest some fan upgrades for me please

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A78L/

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:13 PM

If your computer is just going all of a sudden 'Click' - 'Dead', this is almost certainly a thermal cut-out - the protection circuitry shutting the computer down to prevent damage from over-heating. It is NOT a good idea long term to depend on this to protect your computer, apart from the sheer annoyance when you have got to the critical stage in something and then  you have to start all over again !

If you are getting 'blue screen' shutdowns, this is usually due to driver problems or software incompatibility.

Generally speaking, the heatsink and fan assembly that comes with your CPU or graphics card is sufficient for the job unless you are over-clocking so long as you keep them reasonably clean, but accumulations of dirt and dust rapidly reduce their cooling efficiency.

If you believe that you need to change the fans and/or heatsinks, your best course of action would be to raise a topic in the BC section 'System building and upgrading' quoting the make and model of your CPU, graphics card and mobo.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users