Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any Advice?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Naota

Naota

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 16 May 2006 - 01:16 AM

So, after playing Half-Life 2 (DM too) w/o a single hitch I figured my rig was good for a while,
no need to upgrade again here!
Well, it appears I was mistaken.
While playing newer games (ie:Oblivion,Auto Assault, DDO) my framerate goes to hell upon occasion and acts like its having difficulty trying to load. I have most, if not all, settings set to the lowest possible in each of these games and yet...

(Act 1)

Its not my connection speed either, i've checked. Mayhap 512 isn't good enough anymore, eh?
It's gotta be the memory right?
I use msconfig to make sure I have nothing starting up I don't need, but there are 33 processes running...
Any way you guys could help me in shutting off the ones I don't need so that I can free up some mem?
I do like running my norton firewall if I'm playing onlines, but I don't suppose I need AV... do I?
However, if you fool with norton too much it makes you re-install it :thumbsup: (I don't start those up unless I'm running online anyway which isn't the case with Oblivion )
hep may peez!

(Act 2)

I suppose it is a good idea to go to a gig, but I'm not exactly upper class. Actually, I'm like poverty level.
I imagine it would be cheaper to just buy the memory and do it myself if I could. Is installing new mem a hardcore process or is it just a "pop out the old-pop in the new" kinda thing? I'm using Asus' P4T533-C MB I think...

Any info you need to know just ask.
I think thats a good place to end the first post; any and all help is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 16 May 2006 - 02:55 AM

As you've noticed Half-Life 2 isn't all that heavy a game, not like Oblivion.

While playing newer games (ie:Oblivion,Auto Assault, DDO) my framerate goes to hell upon occasion and acts like its having difficulty trying to load. I have most, if not all, settings set to the lowest possible in each of these games and yet...

It could also be that your hard-drive needs a good defragmenting. But more RAM would surely be a good idea. Oblivion and MMO's are the type of games that can really use much RAM. Going from 1 GB to 2 GB did wonders for DDO loading times.

I do like running my norton firewall if I'm playing onlines, but I don't suppose I need AV... do I?

Norton is feard by gamers everywhere and notoriuos for slowing down machines. But if you've got the machine connected to the internet running both an AV and a firewall is a must, othervise you'll end up with load of crap that'll slow you down to a dead stop. You might want to run both Antivirus and spyware scanns to make sure that isn't what is slowing you down, maybe issue a log to the HijackThis forum.

I suppose it is a good idea to go to a gig, but I'm not exactly upper class. Actually, I'm like poverty level.
I imagine it would be cheaper to just buy the memory and do it myself if I could. Is installing new mem a hardcore process or is it just a "pop out the old-pop in the new" kinda thing? I'm using Asus' P4T533-C MB I think...

More details of you're computer hardware is really needed. If you got the MB model correct it uses RDRAM which Intel dumped years ago because it is so ridiculously overpriced. Which might not be what you wanted to hear. The good news is that upgrading the RAM is just pop out the old and pop in the new.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 16 May 2006 - 08:27 AM

From the prompter:

Any way you guys could help me in shutting off the ones I don't need so that I can free up some mem?

You can check each of the programs and applications against the BC Startup Database; the notes and explanations there will give you guidance about whether the item is needed, not needed, or optional. Doing this may better your performance overall, as an added bonus.
If you only have problems with ONLINE play, but can play solo without problems, the cause may be your internet connexion. Certainly Norton does NOT help the situation.

From the property master:
Doublecheck the model and brand of your MOBO; most RAM is fairly easy to install yourself. You can use Everest (free )to determine the exact information (and a good application to have handy for other information):
http://www.majorgeeks.com/EVEREST_Free_Edition_d4181.html

Intermission.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Naota

Naota
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:32 AM

I can safely say I don't think it's a connection problem.
Nor do I think it at all a viral/spyware issue, although i will post a HJT log soon.
I also keep my disk defraged.

I'm unhappy to say that after double checking, that is indeed the MB i use, and that it is RDRAM.
From a preliminary search, it appears that 1G will run me close to $500. :thumbsup:
I'm glad to hear its just a pop-in/pop-out deal but...

Is that indeed how much I can expect to pay?
I just need to get a new rig if that's the case.
I was hoping to put that off a while by just upping the ram but if thats how much its gunna run me...

I'm not sure how the slots work on the MB, but I know I have 2 sticks of 256, the only way to go about getting a gig in there is tossing those and getting 2 512s right? This may be unnecessary if my cost analysis is correct...

Edited by Naota, 16 May 2006 - 09:36 AM.

#5 Rabbuk

Rabbuk

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:49 PM

u can prolly get it for closer to $85 USD if u search sites like www.pricegrabber.com for the stuff you need.
Rabbuk

[size=7]GO BEARS!

#6 Naota

Naota
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 02:51 AM

u can prolly get it for closer to $85 USD

I am so not seeing that anywhere.
I been after the comparison sites too, including the one mentioned.
I'm not seeing a single stick of 512 anywhere too far from 250.
If you saw a stick for under 100 post a link, please.

I better just start saving for a new rig...

#7 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 09:06 AM

1 GB RDRAM for $85. I seriously doubt it.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#8 Naota

Naota
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 03:54 PM

right.
well, until i get a new rig, mayhap you guys could explain to my why I have six svchost processes running? ...one of wich is clocking at 23K? surely i just need the one right? why are they multiplying? and why is that one taking more memory than explorer? if i could get these things sucking up mem to stop running unless i need them to... mayhap things would work better.

You can check each of the programs and applications against the BC Startup Database

i have looked, but it doesnt really say anything about alot of the things ive got running in there. that is unless im looking in the wrong place. im pretty sure im not. like, it doesnt say anything about svchost exept for what i could get off a properties tab...

thanks for all previous advice, and thanks for any more ahead of time.

#9 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 04:57 PM

svchost.exe is a generic host process for different services run from .dll files and having several running at once is nothing unusual. I got seven of them at the moment with the biggest being 19k, but is has peaked at 45k.

Also, your motherboard should have four RAM sockets, so you could just add another 512 MB.

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,344 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 09:15 PM

here's a pretty good deal $105

L@@K

Your mobo stats

HERE
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 Naota

Naota
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:32 AM

well, that quells my fears about that particular one. its been bothering me fera while.
...and that is indeed a deal! i could get another 512 for a little over 200, which isn't that bad considering.
many thanks for the link!

so I just get the two sticks, yank out the c-rimm, an put 'em in... no?

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,344 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 03:05 PM

Hi not sure what you mean by c-rimm.
But you push back on the 2 white tabs and that will release the RAM sticks then push new firmly in so tabs close.
Also be sure to touch the chassis of the case before touching the ram or any parts inside to release any static charge from your body.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#13 Naota

Naota
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 05:34 PM

cool! now i get to do some explaining!
heh heh... :thumbsup:

seriously, from my limited understanding

"c-rimm" is basicly a stick w/o any memory in it, they put in to fill slots because (surely this isnt needed anymore) supposedly, at least with my MB, you couldnt have any empty memory slots...
apparently ya had ta put something in there.

basically i have four slots, two with real rdram in them, and two with c-rimm fillers...

at least, i think thats what the deal is. :flowers: maybe most folks call em somthing else, i dunno.

#14 Rabbuk

Rabbuk

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 10:37 PM

Im sorry to say i misread the type of ram u had. Ya that type of ram is very expensive my bad. Sorry for getting ur hopes up.
Rabbuk

[size=7]GO BEARS!

#15 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2006 - 06:09 AM

"c-rimm" is basicly a stick w/o any memory in it, they put in to fill slots because (surely this isnt needed anymore) supposedly, at least with my MB, you couldnt have any empty memory slots...
apparently ya had ta put something in there.

basically i have four slots, two with real rdram in them, and two with c-rimm fillers...

at least, i think thats what the deal is. :thumbsup: maybe most folks call em somthing else, i dunno.

Yup, you hit the nail. When your using RIMM's (as you do with RDRAM) you need to fill all slots. We with DIMM modules don't. :flowers:

And yes, just take out the C-RIMMs and put the memory in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users