Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 IGotAVirusAgain

IGotAVirusAgain

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:30 PM

:welcome:  , I have a virus and it is keeping me from doing a system restore, I believe it deleted, rstrui.exe from the System32 file. Is there a file anyone can give me a link to that will do the exact same thing and restore my computer to Factory Defaults, The virus also restricts me from, Editing internet in the Network and Sharing Center, restricts me from right-clicking files on my desktop, restricts me from seeing my computer properties, restricts me from using the Control Panel not to mention it also deleted the Control Panel shortcut from the start menu on the side, restricts me from opening Windows Security Alerts, restricts me from downloading the following: MalwareBytes, any anti-virus software for that matter and I think it actually made it impossible to download/install anything.  :smash:  I did not have a Anti-Virus on this computer when I got the virus because I'm stupid. I have tried everything, read everything, gone everywhere for help, I hope I came to the right place for help. If anyone could help at all that would be much appreciated.

P.S. Please Hurry, thanks for reading.

Thanks again.

Edited by hamluis, 16 March 2014 - 01:26 PM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 IGotAVirusAgain

IGotAVirusAgain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:37 PM

I've also been told it's a RAT or Remote Administration Tool virus by a good friend of mine.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:48 PM

RKill is an easy to use tool that kills known processes and removes Windows Registry entries that stop a user from using their normal security applications.  These settings will remain until the computer is rebooted, for this reason you must run the security application before the computer is rebooted.  

Please download RKill and install it.

When RKill is run it will display a console screen similar to the one below:

RKill_zps2e34d4b8.png

When RKill has finished running a log will be displayed showing all of the processes that were terminated by RKill.

At this time you need to run your security applications, in this case run the programs listed below these instructions.

While RKill is running you may see a message from the malware stating that the program could not be run because it is a virus or is infected.  This is the malware trying to protect itself.  Two methods that you can try to get past this and allow RKill to run are:

1)  Rename Rkill so that it has a .com extension.

2)  Download a version that is already renamed as files that are commonly white-listed by malware. The main Rkill download page contains individual links to renamed versions.  

After the application has run succefully you should reboot the computer to restore the processes and Windows Registry entries. 

Please download TDSSKiller from here and save it to your Desktop.

1.  Doubleclick on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application, then click on Change parameters.

tds2.jpg

2.  Check Loaded Modules, Verify Driver Digital Signature, and Detect TDLFS file system.

If you are asked to reboot because an "Extended Monitoring Driver is required" please click Reboot now.

2012081514h0118.png

3.  Click Start Scan and allow the scan process to run.

tds4-1.jpg

4.  If threats are detected select Skip or Cure (if available) for all of them unless otherwise instructed.

***Do NOT select Delete!
Click Continue.

tds6.jpg[/*]

5.  Click Reboot computer.

Please copy the TDSSKiller.[Version]_[Date]_[Time]_log.txt file found in your root directory (typically c:\) and paste it into your next reply.

Please scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan

• Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET Online Scan in a new window.
    ESET OnlineScan

• Click the esetonlinebtn.png button.

• For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)

• Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer.
      Save it to your Desktop.

• Double click on the esetsmartinstaller_enu.png to download the ESET Smart Installer. icon on your Desktop.

• Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."

• Click the Start button.

• Accept any security warnings from your browser.

• Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives"and "Remove found threats"

• Click Advanced settings and select the following:

• Scan potentially unwanted applications

• Scan for potentially unsafe applications

• Enable Anti-Stealth technology

• ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.

• When the scan completes, click List Threats

• Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.

• Click the Back button.

• Click the Finish button.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

1)  Double-click on mbam-setup.exe, then click on Run to install the application, follow the prompts through the installation.

2)  When the installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:

Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Then click on Finish.

3)  MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. 

4)  Click on perform Quick Scan, then click on the Scan button.

If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.

5)  The scan will now begin, this may take some time to complete so please be patient.

6)  When the scan is finished click on Show Results to display all objects found.

7)  Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.

8)  Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.

Make sure that every item shown in the results has a check mark in the box next to it, then click on Remove Selected.

9)  When removal is completed, a log will open in Notepad.

This log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.Copy and paste the contents of the log in your next post, then exit MBAM.

Important:  If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Reagardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Please copy the Malwarebytes log and paste it in your next post.

To locate this file right click on the Start orb and choose Open Windows Explorer, then click on C: drive.

When the C: drive opens click on the following:  ProgramData, Malwarebytes, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Logs.  

If there is more than one log, choose the log with the date that you ran scan that I requested.

If there are a large number of items found you can go into Settings and click on Scanner Settings to change the setting in Action for potentially unwanted programs (PUP) to Show in results list and check for removal.

Malwarebytessettings_zpsb9b50638.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users