Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't boot up after getting hit in side by bottle

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bender1111

Bender1111

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:59 PM

There was an empty glass bottle on my desk, it got pushed back and onto the front of my bed where it bounced off into the computer about a 2 foot drop. It froze while i was doing stuff. Now it won't boot up. 

There was a bottle on top of my desk, it fell back, bounced off my bed and into the side of my computer case which was parallel to the bed.  Right after, the computer froze, the screen was still there until I shut it off.

So it won't boot, screen stays black.  I've tinkered with the video cord than even took out the aftermarket video card and used the default VGA one, didn't work.  The CD Drive opens, no sound if you plug speakers in, and I thought the USBs weren't working but I tried the front ports and they work.  CPU Fan still spins, blue on light goes on, I hear hard drive whirl up.  Though I took it out to see if it was the problem, nope, didn't even get a BIOS load screen (Which I am grateful for since it's not crashed and my info is not gone).  It's a typical Desktop computer with Windows. The side that got hit has the motherboard screwed into the side, the hard drive is near the upper corner and there was a metal bar in the way so I doubt it was where it got it though maybe it did I dont know. 

Obviously I suspect it's the Motherboard but I do not want to replace it if I don't need to, especially if it's a simple fix.  The computer is Compaq Presario from like 2009 so if the motherboards are cheap I guess I could just spring out some cash for one, but I need confirmation that it is

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,282 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:52 AM

I'd recommend pulling and reinstalling the RAM and any cards, i.e. Video, that you have installed.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:22 PM

I agree with Rkilroy, it is possible a stick of ram/pci-pcie card was bumped lose. Re-seat ram and add in cards.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 Bender1111

Bender1111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:35 PM

It does have to do with the RAM, thanks

I pulled out one stick and it worked, so I investigated further and apparently if you have any stick in the first slot, it doesn't boot

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:22 AM

Possibly a damaged slot. Good to hear you are back up and running.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users