Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Satellite L645D question

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 mjcolenc

mjcolenc

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:52 AM

I had a problem with my 6 year old laptop overheating and shutting down when it reached 160F using Speccy. i was told it could be from dust so a friend of mine took my laptop, still has it,  and opened it up. Well he said it was full of dust. He cleaned it out but when he went to turn it on, never got to toshiba screen. It was just the black screen but all lights were on. He tried hooking it to external monitor and finally told me memory has gone bad I would suggest while you are buying memory, upgrade it with 2 sticks of the 2gb memory good Kingston ram pc3 memory. he said hard drvie and fan are running and that it can be fixed. Right now my laptop has 1gb in it. Would it do it any further harm to upgrade it with these things my friend says. By the way, I also have to get a new battery for it too.

Thanks for reading

Edited by hamluis, 20 March 2014 - 03:51 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:50 AM

Have your friend take a strong flashlight and shine it on the screen after the laptop is started and see if they can see the desktop.  If the desktop can be seen the problem is with the backlight.  

I would also suggest connecting an external monitor to the laptop to determine if the laptop's graphics is functioning properly.

If you only have one RAM module the computer wouldn't boot if the RAM was bad, the POST would recognize the bad RAM and stop the boot process. 

If the lights are on, and the hdd light is blinking periodically this would indicate that the computer is booting which would lead me to suspect that the RAM may not be the problem.

Edited by dc3, 16 March 2014 - 10:15 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 mjcolenc

mjcolenc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:03 PM

Got my laptop back tonight. Plugged it in, and pushed the power button. Only lights that lit up in front were white(dc light), white(power light), amber(battery). The Hard Disk Drive/Optical DiscDrive/eSATA, Bridge media slot and Wireless communication lights never came on. Does this mean it is the memory ram is bad?

#4 johnebadbak

johnebadbak

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:22 AM

http://www.mytoshiba.com.au/support/items/how-to/230

http://support.toshiba.com/ up date all drivers

win7 requires 4gig ram to run efficiently

if you have another win7 machine use backup and restore to create a rescue disk

Also try boot up in safe mode f8 key hold down while the machine boots up soon as power is switched on

#5 mjcolenc

mjcolenc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:43 AM

My laptop won't turn on at all. So does that mean I need to get the new ram to get it to work again?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:14 AM

After pressing the power button do you feel or hear the hdd spinning or see any of the other LEDs blink on and off?

Are there any beeps?

If you don't then this could be caused by several things.  The motherboard might not be getting power.  There is a software or hardware problem causing the POST (Power On Self Test) to fail which would cause the computer to stop the boot sequence.  If there is no power you will not be able to do any of the suggestions made by johnebadbak.

At this point I can only guess what is happening.  It could be that the power regulating circuitry on the motherboard has failed.  It could be a hdd, RAM, or CPU have failed.  In order to test these components you can only replace them since you can't run the POST.  If you could run the POST you could purchase a POST card to determine what is failing.

About all you can do at this time is to try accessing the BIOS, on this computer I believe that you start tapping the F2 key immediately after pressing the power button.  If you can access the BIOS this would narrow down the possibilities quite a bit.

You can take a Voltmeter with a DC voltage scale and check the output of the power adapter.

You might want to pull the RAM module out and reinsert it to make sure it is seated properly.

If the only problem you had before your friend cleaned was the overheating problem I would have a talk with them about getting your computer repaired.   

The temperature of the CPU you reported of 160 Fahrenheit equals 71.1 Celsius.  The maximum temperature for your CPU is 100 Celsius. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 mjcolenc

mjcolenc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:26 PM

Hard rive light flickered once then nothing.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:45 PM

Something is definitely causing the POST to fail.

As I suggested, try reseating the RAM.

You can view a video to see how to remove and reinstall the module here.

#9 mjcolenc

mjcolenc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:05 PM

RAM was seated properly. My husband decided to order a new RAM to see if that was the problem. Thanks for help.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:29 PM

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Let me know how this goes.

#11 mjcolenc

mjcolenc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:04 PM

Well got the 2 new ram modules and put them in and still nothing. white(dc light) came on, white(power light) came on, amber(battery) came on. The Hard Disk Drive/Optical DiscDrive/eSATA light flickered then nothing. Bridge media slot and Wireless communication lights never came on.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:29 PM

Try booting into the BIOS.

Start tapping the F2 key immediately after pressing the power button.

If you can, look in the boot-order tab and see if the hdd is being recognized.

While you are in the BIOS change the boot order so that the DVD/CD-ROM is the first device and the hdd is the second.

#13 mjcolenc

mjcolenc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:19 PM

Tapping F2 did nothing. My friend stopped over and decided to take out the cmos button battery. He said it had to sit for 5 hours to clear things.  He came back later and put it back on. Still nothing. white(dc light) came on, white(power light) came on, amber(battery) came on. The Hard Disk Drive/Optical DiscDrive/eSATA light flickered then nothing. Bridge media slot and Wireless communication lights never came on. No noise when you try to turn the laptop on. I'm at my wits end. Ready to throw the towel in and get a new one.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:59 AM

We are running out of options without starting just throw new parts at the computer.

You can take a multimeter with a DC voltage scale and check the output voltage of the power adapter.  The adapter will the the DC voltage listed on it.

You can remove the hdd and use either an external enclosure to connect to another laptop via USB, or a caddy to install the hdd in a desktop computer to see if the still spins up.  With the hdd connected to another computer you can run a diagnostic on it to see if there is a problem with it.  You can also access your data (if the hdd spins up) and save it.  You can find a caddy for about $12.00 or an external enclosure for about the same price.

After this you would need to purchase parts to find the culprit, a motherboard and CPU.  

This is a six year old computer which could cost you hundreds of dollars to have repaired.  Technology has changed a great deal over the last six years, RAM has gone through three generations to DDR3, USP has gone through similar changes, CPUs have from single cores to 8 - 24 cores, and the list goes on.  I would seriously think about a new computer.

#15 mjcolenc

mjcolenc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:31 PM

My friend said he believes that the operating system has been corrupted so he is re-formatting my hard drive and putting the os back on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users