Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc tries to start then stops

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Manshead

Manshead

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:43 AM

I'm trying to repair a friends pc. When you turn it on the CPU fan starts to turn for about 15 seconds and then the whole thing shuts down. I thought it might be the PSU but all voltages seem ok.

Hope someone can help.

Handle every situation like a real man.
If you cant eat it or drink it.
Walk Away, it Aint worth the hassle.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:34 PM

Hi,

What were the indications that they computer needed repair before you started? It almost sounds like the BIOS isn't providing the necessary commands for the system to continue.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:24 PM

The PS is failing, checking voltages  AFTER the shutdown will tell you which one has failed, 12 volt or 5 volt.  The maximum load will come right about that time during a boot process and it can't maintain so it shuts down.

#4 Manshead

Manshead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:07 PM

Thanks for the replies. If I understand correctly, when the PSU is not under load it will show correct voltages .But under max load it will falter.

#5 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:18 PM

That's the way it works :thumbup2: 

Dick E

#6 Manshead

Manshead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:36 AM

Hi,

What were the indications that they computer needed repair before you started? It almost sounds like the BIOS isn't providing the necessary commands for the system to continue.

Keep us posted

He says the Pc just wouldn't start.

I used the PSU from my PC to cancel malfunction issues. Now it seems to be in an endless cycle of the fan coming on for maybe 25 secs then turning off and back on again. All I have connected to the MB is the 4 square plug which I thinks for the CPU and the Large block connector. Is this ok just to check the computer.

#7 billman87

billman87

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:30 AM

15 seconds is a fairly long time you should be seeing the BIOS by then and not likely to be a short circuit.

I would remove the mainboard from the case and do a physical inspection. Look for enlarged caps or damaged tracks.

Remove all add ons like VGA card, RAM and HDD's, make the load as light as possible.

Once RAM is removed the board should* produce a beeping sound to indicate RAM failure. If so then CPU/MOBO are working.

If you don't get any beep response without RAM then it PSU, CPU or mainboard failure.

Also listing your hardware, including PSU wattage age of PC and last the last time it was working provides us insight to your issue.

Randomly I know of some (older) boards exhibit this if the fail to detect a CPU fan but without knowing the specifics it only speculation.

#8 Manshead

Manshead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:10 AM

Thanks for your replies.
I'm not sure if this is significant when I leave the four square pin for the CPU power off the PC doesn't power off. It keeps running but will not boot. Could this mean the CPU's at fault causing the continuous rebooting cycle.

#9 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:43 AM

Hi,

Sounds reasonable. Might be something in the motherboard as opposed to the CPU itself.

Keep us posted

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users