Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New custom build reboots constantly, except in BIOS?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kristineadi

kristineadi

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 15 March 2014 - 04:10 AM

So, I bought all I needed to build myself a new desktop, and due to some issues, thought the mobo was DOA, turns out it wasn't so all the parts sat around my house for a while. Anyways, finally got the mobo back from gigabyte, put all the parts together, and booted her up to install Windows 7 Ultimate. Got through install, up until it needs to reboot to finish installation. When it came back on, it acted like I hadn't just spent 20 minutes watching the percentage climb up to 100% finished. So, I spent about 2 hours trying to figure out why in the WORLD it would do such a thing. Trying to get it to realize that I already did most of the install. Finally got it to let me make a username and password... and BOOM, it reboots mid-typing my brand new password. Cue me getting really angry, seeing as I thought I figured it out. Thus went my sanity.

So then, I finally get my username and password made and actually get to my desktop, when, boom, guess what? Another reboot. 

FInd out my roommate dropped the wrong hard drive into my hands when I was putting it all together, and the one I was using was corrupt. Okay, cool. Put in the right one... Now I can't even get it to completely install Windows 7 before it reboots again. 

Weird thing, though, is that it can sit in the BIOS screen for hours, but can't get through a measly installation.

I've tried reapplying thermal paste, and I haven't seen the CPU get over 35 degrees Celsius, which I am told is a proper temperature for a CPU to get to. My next step is to check out the memory and see if it somehow got defunked while I was waiting to put this thing back together.

I just don't know what to do. I have friends that have gone through some really good IT programs that can't tell me what wrong with this freaking thing. I'm about to cry in sheer anger at the thing. Can someone offer me some kind of advice? 

I don't have the specs of everything, because I am a horrible person and my roommate usually takes care of this but she's telling me I'm wrong and I don't know what to think, so now I'm doing this all on my own.

Motherboard is Gigabyte Model F2A55M-DS2, CPU is an AMD A-Series. Harddrive is Western Digital 1TB. PSU is Corsair CX600.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:39 PM

Hi,

New motherboard, different hard drive; have you pulled the CMOS battery out for a minute, with the power cord removed, and then reconnected the power and rebooted?

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

Yes it's a good step to do that as it ensures the motherboard is at default settings.  Another way of getting safe default settings in BIOS is to find the option "Load Optimised Defaults" (or words similar to that), select that and then save and exit the BIOS.

It could be a lot of things really, but my initial hunch from reading the symptoms was that it was RAM related.  Try removing and then reseating the memory, ensuring that it's firmly in it's slot(s).  Try and see if that improves matters.  If not then if you have more than one memory module, try it with just one of them in the first RAM slot.  If instability remains try the other.  If one is unstable and the other not, then that suggests where the problem lies.

A program that might be helpful is Memtest86.  Get the free version from here (either the ISO or USB stick version) and boot using the CD/USB as applicable.  Run the test and allow it to run until it either reports that the memory passes all tests or it fails.  This can take a number of hours.

Alternatively a suite of utilities that I use a lot is Ultimate Boot CD which includes Memtest and a lot more (HDD health checks, stress tests, etc. etc.).

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 kristineadi

kristineadi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:48 AM

Alright, so, I have yet to try these because the next day my roommate went ahead and took a look at it (finally) and said something about the RAM being in the wrong slot (for some reason it matters with this specific MOBO. It solved the problems, until I actually started to try to use my computer. Running anything for more than a few minutes crashes it just like it was crashing before. I'm going to do a memcheck here in a moment to see if my RAM is just faulty, or something. 

#5 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:45 AM

Hi,

also check that all of the voltages are correct and present. It could be the power supply dropping a voltage which is shutting you down

Keep us posted

Dick E

#6 kristineadi

kristineadi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:24 PM

Alright, so I took out the CMOS battery and that was a no go. Since I'm able to at least let the thing run for a bit, I was able to get to the windows memory diagnostics tool and it came back with no errors. I'm about to check the voltages, but I'm not very sure how to do that. To google!

#7 kristineadi

kristineadi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:17 PM

Alright, so I am no longer getting reboots, but it IS freezing, but only like half hour to an hour into use. There tends to be some lines around where the mouse was when it freezes up. I put my friends SSD in it that runs Windows 8 and its the best performance I've gotten to date. I was thinking maybe since I was using a different HD, that maybe it was my HD, but now I'm not so sure.

#8 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:45 AM

Hi,

What were the results of the RAM check, or maybe you were able to do a swap?

Thanks

Dick E

#9 dikbozo

dikbozo

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:44 PM

Freezing and/or random reboots can also be a symptom of a bad PSU. How old/sketchy is yours? My first thought was RAM but those can be a bit tricky sometimes on a bad motherboard or with a wonky PSU. I would try testing the RAM one stick at a time on a known good board just to be sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users