Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloud Storage Question!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BarrettB

BarrettB

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:21 AM

Hi there, computer people!

I have a simple question. I am using free cloud storage through Weiyun and I installed the client for my Mac, and I have the folder on my computer to sync to the cloud. What I'm wondering is if I put files into that folder, is it also being saved to my computer (taking up disk space) as well as being put into the cloud?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:57 AM

I do not know about how Weiyun Cloud works.

In general, file syncing over the cloud means that files are updated to all the connected locations. Latest files are kept in your local hard disk folder as well as on the cloud.

But in most cloud storage systems there are settings to sync only a particular folder or set of files.

So yes, it may be taking up space on your hard disk (and consuming network bandwidth for downloading files) depending on your configuration settings.

#3 BarrettB

BarrettB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:26 PM

Thanks for the response! I don't really get the point of the cloud if it's not even saving space on your harddrive...

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:12 PM

I too don't know how this particular cloud service works. But one of the many reasons for cloud service is so that you have access to those files when mobile or on a different computer. Also this allows you an additional copy should your hard drive fail. But you may check and see if you can set up a folder that does not synch. That way you can upload and not have a local copy and save that space on your hard drive.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 BarrettB

BarrettB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:44 PM

Thanks for the post! I need to figure this out, I don't just want a cloud for backup, I want to store my stuff on it without downloading it to my computer. Hmmmmm

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:10 PM

I too don't know how this particular cloud service works. But one of the many reasons for cloud service is so that you have access to those files when mobile or on a different computer. Also this allows you an additional copy should your hard drive fail. But you may check and see if you can set up a folder that does not synch. That way you can upload and not have a local copy and save that space on your hard drive.

To The Bleeping Staff, And Security experts. Hi how are you love your work.

Question.

How safe is it in your opinion to store doccunents online? ( unless heavily encrypted )

Edited by NickAu1, 16 March 2014 - 11:14 PM.

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:29 AM

To The Bleeping Staff, And Security experts. Hi how are you love your work.

Question.

How safe is it in your opinion to store doccunents online? ( unless heavily encrypted )

The measure of safety depends on many factors, e.g., whether you use a strong passwords (for cloud storage as well as the linked email address which can be used to reset the password), does your cloud service use encrypted storage, and finally your own personal safety habits.

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:34 AM

does your cloud service use encrypted storage

That would be the part I do not trust. I would have to encrypt the files myself first. I also read that as while the files are encrypted to anybody else, The staff at said cloud can still read my stuff, And if they can ..... well lets leave the rest unsaid.

#9 BarrettB

BarrettB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:40 AM

Do you guys know, does Google drive do what I'm wanting? I just want semi-quick access to my files on the cloud.

#10 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:43 AM

does your cloud service use encrypted storage

That would be the part I do not trust. I would have to encrypt the files myself first. I also read that as while the files are encrypted to anybody else, The staff at said cloud can still read my stuff, And if they can ..... well lets leave the rest unsaid.

Well, they say only you can access using your password. But if you do no trust them, then you can encrypt your files yourself. Though it requires extra effort for encryption and then decryption.

If you think your files are very private like scanned images of your financial documents then you can use something like boxcrypter to encrypt them before uploading to cloud storage.

Do you guys know, does Google drive do what I'm wanting? I just want semi-quick access to my files on the cloud.

Google drive has encrypted storage and you can enable/disable sync for different folders. So yes, it can do what you want.

#11 _dan

_dan

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:28 AM

As far as convenience goes (for accessing cloud files across many clouds you're signed up for) JoliCloud is one that puts many under one dashboard. This doesn't answer any of your concerns about encryption though. 

OwnCloud is supposed to let you "roll your own cloud" (a concept that's new to me) and I also think they could have done a better job explaining it all on their web site. 

This article goes back a little while now, but its an example of why you should care a lot about such a company's TOS: http://www.wired.com/insights/2012/04/google-drive-privacy/ 

For some quick links and more info about these things, you can go here: http://getapps.cc/clouds 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users