Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

79FB5FC8-44B9-4AF5-BADD-CCE547F953E5 - Something Bad?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 West Swan

West Swan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:30 PM

Hello,

I think this is the right spot to ask this question?

I am not having any issues with my computer but thought I would run an AdwCleaner scan anyhow as it was recommmended by the Australian Tech Life magazine.

The report below shows three possible infections. 

The first Firefox profile is fine.  It was created by an addon called allowclipboardhelper which I use to allow copy and paste on some websites.

The second is what I'm not sure about.  I've googled it  but couldn't find exactly what it is.  It is:

Key Found : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{79FB5FC8-44B9-4AF5-BADD-CCE547F953E5}

The third I think is just the Chrome Settings File.  There is no option to untick it.

Regards,

Paul

# AdwCleaner v3.022 - Report created 15/03/2014 at 11:29:03
# Updated 13/03/2014 by Xplode
# Operating System : Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 (64 bits)
# Username : Paul - PAUL-PC
# Running from : C:\Users\Paul\Downloads\AdwCleaner.exe
# Option : Scan

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Files / Folders ] *****

File Found : C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\grddyaap.default\user.js

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

***** [ Registry ] *****

Key Found : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{79FB5FC8-44B9-4AF5-BADD-CCE547F953E5}

***** [ Browsers ] *****

-\\ Internet Explorer v11.0.9600.16521

-\\ Mozilla Firefox v27.0.1 (en-US)

[ File : C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\grddyaap.default\prefs.js ]

-\\ Google Chrome v33.0.1750.146

[ File : C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\preferences ]

AdwCleaner[R0].txt - [935 octets] - [15/03/2014 11:29:03]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[R0].txt - [994 octets] ##########

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:40 PM

Hello -

The third I think is just the Chrome Settings File.  There is no option to untick it.

There is no reason to keep Chrome on the computer while it is having problems

Please read and follow Uninstall Google Chrome
You can re install it later as you do need 3 browsers all the time.

When you install these browsers, you start to add Extensions and Add ons that are useless

These are often done without you even knowing it.

The second is what I'm not sure about.

Is there a reason to be concerned, as there is no problem ??

I do not know what the HKLM\SOFTWARE key exactly relates to but AdwCleaner wishes to remove or disable it.

You can click under the start orb and type - Regedit - Right click on the top result and Run as administrator, Now you open the "Hives" (all the HKeys) then click on the HKEYLOCALMACHINE (HKLM) arrow link, open the options, to follow it down to Classes, then Interface, to see if there is a key with that listing, but I could not find one on mine.

So it may just be an advertising picture (or similar).

99.9% of the time it will only remove or disable problem Advertising programs.

Most scans will show many more than just the couple that you have there.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:23 PM

{79FB5FC8-44B9-4AF5-BADD-CCE547F953E5} is a common detection seen in AdwCleaner and JRT logs. The entry is a CLSID or COM Class Identifier which is a globally unique identifier (128-bit wide random integer) that identifies a COM class object. CLSID's are used to represent a class or type of data inside Windows Component Object Model (COM).

The COM is a language-independent way for programs on top of windows to exchange information. Pieces of information inside of COM are represented as classes (descriptions of a particular type of object) which can have executable code attached to them and contain a user-defined amount and type of data.

The Interface registry key is an optional entry that specifies all interface IDs (IIDs) supported by the associated class.

AdwCleaner is detecting this as a common CLSID most likely used by potential unwanted programs but it is not specifically listed in nasdaq's updated list of what AdwCleaner and JRT detects.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:03 PM

Hi -

The above information is about all that we can give without "finding" the CLSID.

I had searched System Lookup that is a bit of a "Holy Grail" for these, but it returned nothing.

Usually that only means the item has not been entered yet, or is not correct as written.

The makers of the cleaner programs usually do a good search first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users