Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ati2dvag issue....

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mrcaptainbob

mrcaptainbob

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:50 PM

I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum. If not, admins, please move.

I have a Dell Dimension 4600 that gives a message on power up of having an issue with ati2dvag and is doing an info dump. I believe it says it needs a new driver. How do I go about that? Safe mode connected to the internet? and then searching for ati2dvag driver updates? And what is ati2dvag anyway?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:34 PM

Are you running Win XP Home, SP3.

Probably to do with the video card.  What card do you have, ATI Radeon?
Go to the Manufacturer's site to obtain the latest drivers for your specific card.

(OR, Go to Device Manager, Display Adapters, right click on your card, Update Driver.)

If that doesn't help, it may be a .NetFramework glitch.  
Go to Windows Updates, Custom Install and see if there are any .NetFramework updates offered. 
Do NOT get Video driver updates from Windows Update.

#3 mrcaptainbob

mrcaptainbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:52 PM

I pulled the card to check for identification but the only real ID is ATI on a round label on the fan face. There are two other number sets:

PN 109-AO7500-00 REV AO1 and CN-06T996-13740-371-01HU.

I will take it as it is an ATI card and do what you suggest. Is it correct to do that in safe mode? Connect to the internet?

#4 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:57 PM

In Device Manager, what is listed under display adapters - is that where you got the numbers.

You can go safe mode if you want, if you have AV protection, it doesn't matter too much.

#5 mrcaptainbob

mrcaptainbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:16 PM

Okay. Updated drivers using Device Manager and it worked! Thank you!!!

Now here's an issue that is very strange. After the system restart only my wife's named account showed up. I checked for adding new accounts and found there's an account for ...   RATS!!!  I'm doing this from my laptop. Just looked up to get the strange account name and it's back to the blue screen!! The strange account name has no password listed. I'll do it again and see what it is. Rats.

#6 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:03 PM

FYI

"Ati2dvag.dll error messages might appear while using or installing certain programs, 
when Windows starts or shuts down, or maybe even during a Windows installation.
The context of the ati2dvag.dll error is an important piece of information that will be helpful while solving the problem.
Ati2dvag.dll errors are caused by situations that lead to the removal or corruption of the ati2dvag DLL file.
In some cases, ati2dvag.dll errors could indicate a registry problem, a virus or malware issue or even a hardware failure."

If the problem has only just arisen, try a system restore.

Scan your computer for Malware, with Malwarebytes.

#7 mrcaptainbob

mrcaptainbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:39 PM

I go into safe mode with network connection. Click on FireFox and it says it can't connect to the server. Frustrating. I make sure the data cord is well inserted. Don't understand why the monitor works in safe mode, but goes to blue in regular mode. Anyways....what can I do to connect to the internet to get the malwarebytes or anything else?

Again, thank you very much for helping me.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:20 PM

It looks like your Dell model came with an integrated video or VGA. Can you remove the ATI card and set to onboard then  see if the problem persist?

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users