Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to install Silverlight

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:45 PM

I'm trying to install Silverlight on Vista Home Premium SP2 64, so I go to the silverlight site, and click download, and it automatically has me download Silverlight_x64.exe

I run that and it says "Unable to install Silverlight" "Your operating system does not support the 64-bit version of Silverlight."

huh?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:20 PM

Did your computer have 64 bit OS? (Just to make sure.)

Go to control panel and switch to icons mode (not category.) and double click at system then it will show you that your computer is 32/64 bit.

If it is 32 bit, you need to download 32 bit version of silverlight.

Thank you.

Edited by Sirawit, 14 March 2014 - 09:21 PM.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#3 bludshot

bludshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:04 PM

Yeah I have 64 bit windows

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:08 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 bludshot

bludshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:37 AM

No need for that,

Turns out Windows Vista, even 64 bit version, does not support 64 bit Silverlight. But the stupid MS silverlight website seems to detect your OS and automatically give you 64 bit silverlight to download anyway.

I just have to find the 32 bit version for downloading.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:26 PM

Silverlight doesn't care if your operating system is a 32-bit or 64-bit version.  The criteria for which version is to be installed is the browser used to make the download.

The following is a direct quote from the Silverlight Development Center.

"The Silverlight download URL, "http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=149156", uses the user-agent string to determine the type of installer to serve.

If the browser is IE and the host is 64-bit Windows, it serves the 64-bit installer. It doesn't care if thwo browser itself is 32-bit or 64-bit.

If the browser is 32-bit Firefox running on a 64-bit host, it also serves the 64-bit installer.

But if the browser is32-bit Chrome running on a 64-bit host, it serves the 32-bit installer (it ignores the host platform).

If the 64-bit Silverlight installer was used originally, it must continue to be used thereafter. If an attempt is made to update Silverlight with a 32-bit installer, the install fails with the message "A 64-bit version of Silverlight is already installed".

Both Firefox and Chrome have implemented version checks on plugins, in order to block access to plugins that are out-of-date and potentially contain security bugs. When an out-of-date Silverlight plugin is detected, these browsers automatically go to the Microsoft web site (as above) to download the plugin. They do so without user interaction, in order to make the process as seamless as possible.

The problem is that Chrome is begin handed the 32-bit installer, and this installer fails if the 64-bit plugin is already present.

The result is a horrible user experience, and since it's the Silverlight installer that's failing, it points users to a Silverlight problem. The only workaround is to use IE to download the 64-bit Silverlight plugin. It's also not clear from the error message what a user needs to do to fix the problem.

This seems to be a difficult situation, because HTTP GET that retrieves the installer doesn't tell you which version is already installed. That information may not be easily determined either (by the 32-bit browsers).

One fix is essentially to hand the browser an installer that works in all scenarios. A universal installer would determine what components are installed, download the updates it needs, and update them. An alternative might be to provide different installers for different browsers. As a least desirable alternative, the 32-bit installer could recognize the situtation and provide better feedback (that's a less desirable alternative since they would have unnecessarily downloaded the 32-bit installer)."

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 bludshot

bludshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:27 PM

Silverlight doesn't care if your operating system is a 32-bit or 64-bit version.

The Silverlight application cares (I doubt 64 bit silverlight would run on 32 bit windows), but yeah as I am learning the Silverlight website doesn't care. That's the problem, their website doesn't bother to properly serve you the correct version of Silverlight that will actually work on your OS (in all cases). It's a bug/shortcoming in their website.

Specifically, if you are on 64 bit Vista, and go to their website using Firefox, and click download, it will serve you the 64 bit silverlight, which doesn't work on Vista at all.

The workaround that I discovered is to run IE and download it there. Since the default IE is 32 bit, the Silverlight site will then serve you the 32 bit version.

More terribleness from MS.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:44 PM

Did you read the article I posted?

If you have then you would understand that the browser you are using determines what version will be download.  Microsoft makes it very clear that Silverlight does not care what version your Windows is, in other words it does not matter.

#9 bludshot

bludshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:20 PM

Yes, I read that article before making this thread too. It's not accurate. It says "If the browser is IE and the host is 64-bit Windows, it serves the 64-bit installer." But 2 hours ago (when I discovered the workaround) I used IE and my computer is 64-bit Windows, and it did not serve the 64 bit installer, it served the 32 bit installer.

Go to http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/Get-Started/Install/Default.aspx and click on the System Requirements tab. There you will see a chart showing which versions of windows which versions of silverlight support. At the bottom of the chart it says "  * Supports 64-bit mode  "

Then you will see that none of the Vista check marks have a * next to them.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Silverlight does not care what version your Windows is, ... it does not matter". If you mean that 64 bit silverlight will install on any flavor of Vista, then no, it won't. If you try to install it, it will fail saying "Unable to install Silverlight" "Your operating system does not support the 64-bit version of Silverlight."

The only problem I had was that when using Vista and Firefox, the silverlight website will give you the 64 bit version of Silverlight which does not work on Vista and refuses to install. (And initially I didn't know that it didn't support it, so I was merely confused and didn't know what the problem was or how to fix it).

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:32 PM

Did you explore the system requirements for Silverlight.

If you are using IE it must be 7, 8, or 9 for Vista with SP2.

If you are using Firefox or Chrome the version needs to be 12+.

Is this what you are running?

#11 bludshot

bludshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:36 AM

IE 9, FF 27 (or whatever the latest FF is)

#12 Finnybrueren

Finnybrueren

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:47 PM

Maybe I have an idea, my school uses a site that is called Magister. (link vsz.swp.nl) if you type this link in the address bar, you wil ge some light blue page, that says: you need ms silverlight for this application, do you want to install it?(maybe it is something Dutch, in that case it's a failed try). Then you click the install button and install it. It has worked for like 30 people I told and maybe it does for you. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users