Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printing from Win 7 laptop to Win XP desktop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GuitarFiend

GuitarFiend

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:45 PM

I've been attempting to network (I have to do this,right ? ) my elderly mothers new Win 7 laptop with her Win XP desktop so as for her to be able to use the printer that's attached to the XP desktop without her having to go into another room and attach a cable.I believe the "networking" (sharing) is done.Each machine sees each other.But for some reason,I still cannot print from the Win 7 through the Win XP :( My router (wireless internet) is attached to the Xp via dongle.There are no wires used in any of this set-up except from the printer to the XP (if any of that helps).

Whenever I attempt to print from the 7 machine through the XP to the printer I am receiving the error message "Windows cannot connect to the printer.access is denied".If anyone has any ideas,they would be immensely appreciated.I've tried posting this problem to sevenforums but,the guy trying to help is becoming really agitated because he doesn't know what's going on and he's blaming my writing skills for his misunderstanding.I personally think,he's just too high.Plus,occasionally,when I post to that particular forum the posts at times seem to not come out as I wrote them.Like paragraphs being magically all pushed together into one long one,etc

Edited by GuitarFiend, 14 March 2014 - 08:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:59 PM

See this page. When you do this in Windows 7 use an admin account because the windows 7 computer will need to install drivers for your XP computer printer. If the ptinter does not have Windows 7 drivers, it will be a Problem.

http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/xp-to-windows-7-printer-sharing/

Another link for access denied

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 March 2014 - 09:00 PM.

#3 GuitarFiend

GuitarFiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:09 PM

John-thanks for your response.That link is the one I used to set this whole thing up already :( Some more info...I was indeed having some troubles with some things (can't remember what things exactly)...but,I remembered that "plug n play" thing so,I unplugged the printer from XP and plugged it into 7.That helped (some).I also had the software disc for the printer.So,I installed all of that on the 7 machine also (if any of this helps) (I've done so much,I'm just confused as hell at this moment) :( And,this printer came out way before Win 7 :(

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:15 PM

What is the make and model of the printer? Did you try adding the printer in windows 7 as a local printer with a local port as shown in step 3.

#5 GuitarFiend

GuitarFiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:35 PM

The printer is a Lexmark 3300 series.And,yes-the printer is added.At least,both pc's see each other.It's just that when I try to rpint,I'm receiving that message that "Windows cannot connect to the printer.access is denied".I'm going to call it a night for now my friend.Very tired.Thank you for your help.If you have any other ideas though,please post them.I'll save and revisit the page.Thanks again !!

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:53 AM

For the Windows 7 computer, make sure you are using the same username and password as the XP computer. If you have a different user name on Windows 7 create a new account with the same name and password as the XP computer. Reboot, login to the windows 7 account with the same name and try printing. Note: I could find no documentation on this printer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users