Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AV and Firewall for Computer Illiterate Senior Citizens

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:28 PM

On my home system, I keep Avira AV and Comodo Firewall.

Avira appears to have become some kind of subscription service, when I downloaded and installed it on a troubled computer recently, asking for a user account and password. Comodo is a product I've personally come to enjoy, but after setup, it prompts for EVERYTHING. And even after it's setup and running, you'll still get prompted (bullzip pdf, for me, seems to trigger it every time).

What recommendations can you give for silent, plug-and-play kinds of AV and Firewall, that I could install on the computer of a senior citizen? I need something that just passively blocks and scans on a regular schedule without much user interaction at all.

I took a quick look through the sticky topics and didn't catch anything as specific as my request (or maybe I just looked for it in the wrong ways). Could you guys offer some suggestions, please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:34 PM

You could read this.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-tame-comodo-defense-without-disabling-it.htm

Dont use that antivirus thingy..... Whats a virus.... lol

Not using antivirus NOT RECCOMENDED for Windows.

A bit of Advice  here.

If you are not sure of what you are doing I suggest you create a back up first, then mess with the firewall just in case you DO something wrong . You can just restore the system.

Anybody "tinkering" with pc settings should have good tested backups first just incase. Yes even all the people who say I know what I am doing.

Edited by NickAu1, 14 March 2014 - 08:41 PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:17 PM

You may want to read:
Choosing an Anti-Virus Program

Why not use Windows built-in Firewall?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:13 AM

That is completely out of date as Defense+ is no longer enabled by default for the current version of Comodo Internet Security.

The only pop-ups likely to occur with default settings now will be whether to continue to sandbox any unknown items on the computer immedialely following installation.   Once installed versions 6 and 7 are now very suitable for people with no experience as long as default settings are used.

James

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:06 AM

Defense+ was the subject of a lot of past user complaints so that most likely is why Comodo stopped enabling it by default.

If the OP needs something for seniors that just passively blocks without user interaction...then Windows Firewall will fit that need without having to install and configure a third-party firewall or suite.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users