Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

So many security programs to protect yourself

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 koooba

koooba

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:59 PM

So in coming to this site, I noticed a few programs that are suggested to run along next to an anti-virus ie - malwarebytes anti-exploit, then you have AdwCleaner, in which I thought CCleaner would be enough.

Then you also have a plethora of other stuff.  At what point do you say, enough programs? lol

I have Malwarebytes (purchased) version, along with Comodo firewall, no anti-virus yet, still thinking on that one.

But is an anti-exploit really necessary?  If you have an anti-virus, a firewall, something like malwarebytes and say FireFox with NoScript addon.

Isn't that sufficient enough?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:49 PM

Malware comes in so many forms that multiple, overlapping tools are needed to maximize your protection.

Each program is different. One may find something another didn't find.

The most important thing is to use REPUTABLE programs. I have Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware and Emsisoft Anti-Malware installed. I have used AdwCleaner in the past but it is not currently installed.

CCCleaner is for clearing history, temporary internet files, temp files and other things. It is not an adware or spyware removal tool.

The most important thing you can do right now is get an anti-virus. There are free ones you can use.

#3 koooba

koooba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:13 PM

You don't think that's overkill? MBW, SAS and Emi?  Assuming they're all real time? 

I used AdwCleaner on my laptop and it found some "searchscope" from my IE browser which I never used.  I trusted it to clean it up but otherwise, it would have just sat there.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:18 PM

I don't run any of them in real time. No, it isn't overkill. As I said, one will usually find something another one did not.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,482 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:39 PM

AdwCleaner is a free portable adware cleaner created by Xplode (a BC Security Colleague) that will search for and remove many potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), adware, toolbars, browser hijackers, extensions, add-ons, browser helper objects (BHOs) and other junkware to include many related registry entries (values, keys). It will also clean FF and Chrome extensions and Add-ons. In some cases AdwCleaner may detect items related to legitimate programs...a search should always be performed first so the detections can be reviewed. When first run AdwCleaner includes options under the tabs to show what was found and to allow disabling detections you want to keep since not all detections are necessarily bad. The only things you can't uncheck is Chrome and Firefox preferences lines but you still can view them in the "Chrome" and "Firefox" tab.

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (MBAE) runs in the background and monitors popular applications, preventing vulnerabilities in the software from being exploited. MBAE runs as a standard Windows Service instead of as a stand-alone EXE which used to be launched from the TaskScheduler.

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, formerly ExploitShield by ZeroVulnerabilityLabs, protects you from zero-day exploits targeting browser and application vulnerabilities. Its proprietary technology shields your browser and applications in that critical period between the release of a new exploit and its subsequent security patch.

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit
Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit FAQs

Emsisoft Anti-Malware is an antivirus platform that includes anti-malware protection and uses three security levels (or layers) of protection to prevent the installation of malware and stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer. These layers consist of surf protection, a dual-engine file guard, and advanced behavioral analysis which is extremely difficult to penetrate. EAM continually monitors the behavior of all active programs looking for any anomalies that may be indicative of malicious activity and raises an alert as soon as something suspicious occurs. The behavior blocker is able to detect unknown zero-day attacks without signatures. Good choice...I use it too.

SUPERAntiSpyware Free does not provide real-time protection, auto-Scanning, auto-updates or scheduled scanning so there is no need for it to run at startup, waste system resources and possibly cause conflicts with other security software. However, when installing SUPERAntiSpyware it installs to run at each start-up automatically. I recommend to disable its' startup and use it as a separate stand-alone on-demand scanner. If you right-click on the tray icon, select System Tools & Program Settings to open Control Panel and click Preferences...there is an option to uncheck "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" under the General and Startup tab.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users