Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving XPSP3 to SSD off RAID 1 array

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 peak4

peak4

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:31 PM

My thanks in advance for tapping into your collective brainpower one again.

One or two of you may have seen my other rather long thread trying to get this machine up and running again, but it looks like I have success (at least for the moment) as everything seems to be stable.

I'm running a multi partitioned 2 x 1TB SATA RAID array (mirrored) with XPSP3 as the OS on "C" drive.

For a variety of reasons, I'd like to port my current XP install over to an SSD whilst leaving my data where it is.

I don't really want to have to re-install XP as I could do with keeping the system up and running as this is my primary PC.

Whilst I'm quite happy with XP,I'm also aware that it is due to be dropped by Microsoft as far as support goes, so it's probably time to move on, but I'd rather do it gradually.

My intention it to port XP onto an SSD partition, so I can run ally my current software (if which there is a lot) and also to add WIN7 64bit to the other SSD partition.

(I've already got a ligit copy ready to go, and Microsoft's compatibility tool claims everything is OK apart from my scanner)

This will get my XP off RAID, which can only be a good thing, and also allow me to use the latest version DxO Optics Pro, my preferred photographic raw developer.

(I've bought a copy, but can't run it yet as it needs Vista as a minimum, and I'm going nowhere near that)

My thought were also to invest in a copy of Paragon Hard Disk Manager 14 suite for both the transition and future backup/recovery. (£30 off Amazon UK)

According to Biostar,my MOBO unfortunately only supports 4GB ram, unless any of you folks know better.

More detailed specs can be found at this Speccy link if you're interested

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/07niu41QHuLve2GoBMvWc5l

I've just noticed that Speccy claims I'm still running AVG, but that should have been removed last year, so I'll look into that.

I wonder if that was anything to do with my recent BSOD episodes; I guess that unknown to me it might have been fighting, firstly with AVAST and then with Kapersky.

Anyone any thoughts on the best way to proceed?

Many Thanks

Bill

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:34 AM

You may want to hold off migrating XP to an SSD and simply install Windows 7 on the SSD as 7 can often configure itself to use the SSD efficiently.  With XP, you need a "Toolbox" that comes with some SSD's to get the best performance.  XP will be leaving support entirely in about a month, there will be no more security and functional improvements after that point.  I would simply do a complete clean install of WIndows 7 onto the SSD.

3939.png

#3 peak4

peak4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:26 PM

I appreciate where you are coming from, but I would prefer to keep the XP install intact and run it alongside the Win7 as a dual boot system.

I would also prefer the operating systems off the RAID array, though I don't mind keeping the array for data.

I would then move over to Win7 gradually as, just at the moment I don't have the time or inclination to do a full Win7 install with all the software I use on XP, particularly as some of it wouldn't run.

The intention is to port XP over, install Win7 loaded with the most commonly used stuff, such as Photographic Developer, Office applications, email and browsers.

That way I get the enhanced security of a later operating system, particularly since XP will lose its support, but still retain the functionality of XP and my currently installed software off line (or at least off line the vast majority of the time anyway).

Hence my query as to the preferred way of going about it.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:54 PM

I don't see a good way to do this, other than what DJBPace07 suggested.  Assuming you only have one partition on the RAID1 you'd have to copy that partition to the SSD.

You might try installing Windows 7 on the SSD and using your BIOS to select your boot drive.  You may press a specific key on boot to select the boot drive and failure to press that key would cause it to boot to the drive set as primary in the BIOS.  This isn't ideal, but probably the best you're going to be able to do.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:46 PM

If you insist on moving XP...you could back up the RAID to a single partition on a single drive, with the backup being fully restoreable on a different drive.  Test that and make sure that XP boots properly before doing anything else.

Then...you install Win 7 on a different partition on the same drive you reinstalled the XP backup.  Win 7 will pick up the XP install and you will have dual-boot.

Louis

#6 peak4

peak4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:55 PM

I don't see a good way to do this, other than what DJBPace07 suggested.  Assuming you only have one partition on the RAID1 you'd have to copy that partition to the SSD.

You might try installing Windows 7 on the SSD and using your BIOS to select your boot drive.  You may press a specific key on boot to select the boot drive and failure to press that key would cause it to boot to the drive set as primary in the BIOS.  This isn't ideal, but probably the best you're going to be able to do.

No I have multi partitions on the RAID array with "C" exclusively for the XP operating system & programs. I also have a spare "D" partition on the RAID array as well

From what I understand, if I wanted to have a dual boot XP/Win7 on the RAID, all I would need to do is install Win7 on "D", since this is the later system and was installed second.

This should take care of itself and give me dual boot system, with XP using the Biostar MOBO RAID drivers, and Win7 using it's own inbuilt ones.

The Win 7 boot menu should take care of the operating system selection as it is designed to allow dual booting.

However I really want to get the OS off the RAID array and onto SSD.

I can do this by adding a 240 GB SSD, porting XP onto SSD, then partitioning/resizing the XP partition and installing Win7 on the other SSD partition. Win7 needs to be installed second, so it will supply the boot manager.

On the other hand I could unplug the RAID disks temporarily, add SSD and partition it into two drives, re-connect RAID, port XP, install Win7

I'm really trying to work out the best logistical procedure here, both for the best chance of succeeding, and to minimise downtime, (and also seek recommendations on software to assist with this. )

Paragon Disk Manager 14 looks like it will probably do the job, but I'm not sure if I need the Pro version to handle my Software RAID as I suspect the suite version will only deal with Hardware RAID.

EDIT

Thanks Louis, I think our posts crossed

I really would like to keep access to my XP programs as some of the stuff won't run under Win 7 without updating it.

Also I have a perfectly good flatbed scanner which won't work under Win7 amongst other things.

I suspect my film,slide scanner might struggle too.

Certainly my mapping software would cause issues as well

Any Thoughts?

Thanks

Bill

Edited by peak4, 17 March 2014 - 05:01 PM.

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,075 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:33 PM

Moving XPSP3 to SSD

Don’t Use Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Disable TRIM

If your computer is using a solid-state drive, it should be using a modern operating system. In particular, this means you shouldn’t use Windows XP or Windows Vista. Both of these old operating systems do not include support for the TRIM command. When you delete a file on your hard drive, the operating system can’t send the TRIM command to the drive, so the file’s data will remain in those sectors on the drive.

http://www.howtogeek.com/165472/6-things-you-shouldnt-do-with-solid-state-drives/

Edited by NickAu1, 17 March 2014 - 09:33 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#8 peak4

peak4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:58 AM

Nick, Indeed so, but it is my understanding that Intel and Samsung drives include manufacturer's tools to enable the equivalent on non trim supported operating systems.

In my case I have a Samsung one awaiting fitting.

The intention will be to disable auto defrag as well

Win7 will become the primary operating system for day to day use, but with occasional booting into XP when I need some other software.

My current C drive is 80 GB with a little over 70GB in normal use, the replacement SSD will probably be partitioned 120+120GB, unless someone suggests otherwise, hence posting this sort of query one here.

Now wishing this post to appear terse, but I'm just off to work, so haven't got time to expand

#9 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:16 PM

HI,I was reading the posts here and went to the link about things you should not do with SSD'S.

What i just added to my DELL E 521 is SSDH HYBRID HDD WITH 1TB storage,my son has exactly the same PC that i just added a 3.0 Mhz CPU to it and what i got from the above link is

that may be a better way to go with his PC instead of SSD,he has only used up about 50% of his HDD.

I also put WIN 7 on my new SSDH and plan doing the same with his PC,i do not know if it is good or bad,but i like the idea that all i have to do to go to home page is left click mouse and in a blink of an eye i am there.

#10 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:40 PM

Easeus to do back up free

• FREE, safe and reliable backup & disaster recovery software for home users
  • Simple-to-use, just one-click to back up system, photos, music, videos, documents, and applications in case of any disaster problems
  • Disk clone, disk upgrade and SSD migration solution

http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm

#11 peak4

peak4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:22 PM

Just re-read my last post, It should of course been NOT wishing this post appear terse, rather than now wishing.

Sorry if anyone was offended.  :blush:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users