Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloning everything over two laptops

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DanielPlumb

DanielPlumb

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:29 PM

Hello,

My Grandad owns two laptops, both running on Windows XP. He is travelling between London and Cornwall quite often, so won't be connected to a server all the time, but will be at the destination.

London: both laptop one and two will be connected to a wifi router.

Cornwall: both laptop one and two will be connected to a wifi router.

My intention is, if he creates a desktop icon on one laptop, it would display on the other, and vice versa. Furthermore, the sharing of files, user accounts, installed programmes and as much as possible really.

I've had a look at "computer cloning over a network" but seeing as the laptops won't be connected permanently to a network, it's a bit difficult to implement this sort of cloning, so I was wondering if there was some sort of software or method whereby the two laptops can share everything together standalone.

Thank you in advanced. If you have any questions about this case study then please let me know.

Daniel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:00 AM

Good morning :).

My first perception of a problem as I read/misinterpreted your intent...is that laptops are dissimilar/proprietary in how they are setup and licensed.  A dual-boot seems a possible alternative that is ruled out because the systems are dissimilar, IMO.

As for sharing files...data files can easily be shared between two systems via networking or cloning partitions/drives...but programs cannot be shared by any method I know of other than networking or using a remote connection of some type.

Beyond those thoughts, I have to exit the discussion.

Since I don't see an XP situation here but a possible networking situation...I'm moving your topic to a forum where the more knowedgeable can weigh in :).

Louis

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:17 AM

You want to remote desktop from one laptop to the other, seeing the desktop of lappy 2 on the screen of lappy 1? Is that right. I believe Tight VNC will do what you want. http://www.tightvnc.com/ after it's setup, you double click the icon it pick the IP address of the other lappy, click connect, enter a password, and a window pops up with the other lappy's desktop.

Sharing files is easy, Just google search for it.

Now you do know that XP is going buh bye in April right? 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:16 PM

Another solution might be a cloud storage solution like Dropbox.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,825 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:45 PM

Another solution might be  Team Viewer. http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users