Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM upgrade

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pankajv

pankajv

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:46 AM

Motherboard : ASUS M4A78LT-M-LE

RAM : Corsair 2GB DDR3  (VS2GB1333D4) PC3-10700H (667 MHz)

I need to upgrade my RAM to atleast 4GB. Can I buy any corsair DDR3 RAM for my motherboard? if yes then can it be added with the existing RAM to make it 6 GB? If not then which RAM is compatible with my current stick? Or do I just keep the new 4GB stick & remove the old one? 

How is this one - Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) PC RAM (CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9)

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you! :)

Edited by pankajv, 14 March 2014 - 11:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:04 PM

I would suggest using the same specification ram rather than mixing different types.  If you mix memory sticks, worst case is that the system will not POST .  Another scenario is that it works but causes problems - system instability, program errors, disk corruption are possible problems.  Lastly it could work without error, but it's not a risk I'd like to take.

Therefore, I would either buy a second module of exactly the same type, or remove the current stick and replace it with a new stick or dual channel set.

Edited by jonuk76, 14 March 2014 - 12:06 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:55 AM

As jonuk76 said.

I had 4Gb in this computer. When I decided to upgrade to 8Gb, Rather than have possible instability problems I checked a name brand online memory vendor and ordered a 8Gb memory kit from them and just removed the old 4Gb memory.

This is important since some ASUS motherboards can be a bit picky about memory. I would only order memory that is stated to be compatible with Your Motherboard.

By being conservative about making sure the hardware is compatible and Not loading all kinds of software just to try I manage to have a system that is stable and speedy. Yesterday I installed a piece of partition manager software for a specific use that the Built in Windows software could not perform. Now that that task is done I have uninstalled that software.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 pankajv

pankajv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:59 AM

Thanx a lot for your reply @jonuk76 and rotor123. based on your replies I checked ASUS's website to know about compatible RAMs. There was a whole list of vendors & this written at the bottom - 'When installing total memory of 4GB capacity or more, Windows 32-bit operation system may only recognize less than 3GB. Hence, a total installed memory of less than 3GB is recommended'.

This confused me even more now because I have Windows 7 32-bit installed on my PC. Does it mean I shouldn't go for the upgrade?

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:54 AM

What it is saying in part is that it is a waste to go over 3Gb of memory with a 32 bit Windows. I have seen 32 Bit Windows show from 2.75Gb to 3.5Gb of memory out of 4Gb installed. Windows will ignore the extra memory.

Since You can not upgrade to 64bit windows from 32bit Windows without doing a fresh install and reloading everything that is out.

Why are You looking to upgrade? Is the Computer slow from not enough memory? When You go to Task manager with Your normal software loaded what amount of memory used is shown? My Windows 8 is showing 32% used out of 8Gb for example. The Biggest memory use bring FireFox, Malwarebytes Pro and Thunderbird, My email program.

You could always add 1Gb too.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users