Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Greetings

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 coolboot

coolboot

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:09 AM

Greetings everyone. I joined today hoping to find some information on how to stop these infernal redirects and popups that are driving me bezerks on a daily basis. I think I have found the right place for the kind of technical information I will need to do a thorough cleanup of my Windows XP system. I run a Lenovo, about 4 years old, and I'm not anxious to upgrade the os if I can keep it running well going forward.

I'm a writer, editor, web master, small business and tax consultant, and a nutrition coach. How's that for diversity?

Hope to get to know some of you here and will thank all of you, in advance, for sharing helpful information on how to keep XP running like a charm despite the MS cutoff in April. Thanks for being here.

Coolboot (aka Wally Dickson)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MakeItBetter

MakeItBetter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:36 AM

You sounds like a fun person to know ... :)

The biggest concern about running XP past the MS cutoff date is security, I'm sure others on the board will have some addition opinions for you...be sure to check this forum...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/56/windows-xp-home-and-professional/

Sounds like you have some browser hijacks going on ... 

I am not a moderator or board malware removal expert, however, I'm sure you can find threads where people have had similar problems to yours, but here are my two quick suggestions...

1. go into control panel->programs->uninstall programs

Look for programs you don't recognize and see if they are ones you want (you can search them out on the web)

...if these problems RECENTLY started happening, sort the programs by descending date...

It's quite possible that you installed a free software that has "ridealongs" that you inadvertently installed along with the software...

For example...Adobe Reader will try to get you to install either Ask toolbar or McAfee .. I forget which right now...

2. go into your browser(s) and open up the addons/extensions, and delete any unwanted programs from there...

Cheers!

Jann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users