Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spilled sugar tea on laptop

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 davey crockett

davey crockett

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:05 AM

Hi Folks

My wife has a 2 year old sony vaio laptop. Last nite some tea with a fair amount of dark sugar in it was spilled on the left side of the key pad. It was enough that it ran out the side and bottom of the laptop. I took an air bottle to it, dried it out as best as I could without pulling things apart as that's a bit beyond my level. None of the keys feel like they are sticking. But I cannot get it to power up. It turned off normally, but now I cannot get a peep out of it - eeek! Any suggestions much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 davey crockett

davey crockett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:14 AM

I am not getting even a lite on front to say that the battery is charging while it is plugged in. I have a feeling the key board is fried - I will check down that rabbit trail to see if it is even worth replacing..

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:03 AM

Water damage is the hardest thing to deal with and can affect all internal components. I was lucky last week with a coffee spill, they took out the battery and unplugged everything immediatly but still some of the components shorted, I was told the computer shut off right away when the spill happened so obviously something shorted out. They did not try to turn the computer back on (this is the best thing you can do after a liquid spill is remove all power cords/remove battery and do not try and power it back on).

After completely taking it apart (highly recommended, if you can not do this take it in to a shop that can) I was able to clean up all of the liquid from the components and then it powered on. Everything worked amazingly, but for how long is another question. I have had a few that worked for a week and then died completely. If you can not even power on the device I would not recommend trying over and over, this may cause further damage especially if there is liquid still inside the computer that you can not see.

I do not know how long it takes for all the liquid to completely evaporate, I will say putting it somewhere warmer around 100 degrees would speed up the process. Maybe give it a week and try again. Unplug the power adapter (from the wall and the computer) and take out the battery. Sometimes power adapters will go into protect mode and will not work until unplugged from the wall and then plugged back in.

If you get no signs of life after a week, disassembly would likely be required. I have not had much luck after liquid spills about 95% of the time when I was in the retail repair world, the computers main boards were destroyed. The biggestest determining factor was the amount of liquid that was spilled.

Edited by zingo156, 14 March 2014 - 10:12 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 davey crockett

davey crockett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:16 AM

Thanks for that info. I will try drying it as thoroughly as possible, and see what happens and let you know..

#5 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:22 AM

I have worked on around a dozen laptops with spill issues...the ones that didn't power on required a teardown and inspection of all components. Some of those had damage to the motherboards, some had fried cables that were replaceable.

Majority of the time the keyboards needed replacing.

An intensive inspection of the motherboard and cleanup with an alcohol-based solution would be my recommendation. I'd start looking at pricing on the motherboard now, to see if you think it would be cost-worthy to do a replacement if it deems necessary.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:31 AM

Netghost is correct, I usually use 90% iso alcohol to clean boards after liquid spills. That is what I used on the above coffee spill board.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#7 davey crockett

davey crockett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:49 AM

HaHa - I sprayed the crap out of the keyboard and into the back of the computer with contact cleaner, without disassembling much of anything and it started up!! Hopefully it keeps running. I just can't afford a replacement right now..

#8 davey crockett

davey crockett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:50 AM

I think I will back the whole of it on an external while it's up and running.

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:01 PM

I would still caution against using it until it dries out completely. It seems to be a good sign it is running. Usually in most cases I have delt with the hard drives were ok after a liquid spill (they have their own metal cover though sometimes the controller boards would fry), running the computer may actually put your data at risk if the main board is still wet and suddenly shorts, it can take out connected components with it. It would be better to remove the hard drive and backup data that way. Best of luck.

Edited by zingo156, 14 March 2014 - 12:02 PM.

#10 davey crockett

davey crockett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:18 PM

I used a cleaner with isopropyl alcohol in it so I think it dried up pretty quick. As you say, safest way to back it up would be to first remove the hard drive. Will see how it goes, thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users