Water damage is the hardest thing to deal with and can affect all internal components. I was lucky last week with a coffee spill, they took out the battery and unplugged everything immediatly but still some of the components shorted, I was told the computer shut off right away when the spill happened so obviously something shorted out. They did not try to turn the computer back on (this is the best thing you can do after a liquid spill is remove all power cords/remove battery and do not try and power it back on).
After completely taking it apart (highly recommended, if you can not do this take it in to a shop that can) I was able to clean up all of the liquid from the components and then it powered on. Everything worked amazingly, but for how long is another question. I have had a few that worked for a week and then died completely. If you can not even power on the device I would not recommend trying over and over, this may cause further damage especially if there is liquid still inside the computer that you can not see.
I do not know how long it takes for all the liquid to completely evaporate, I will say putting it somewhere warmer around 100 degrees would speed up the process. Maybe give it a week and try again. Unplug the power adapter (from the wall and the computer) and take out the battery. Sometimes power adapters will go into protect mode and will not work until unplugged from the wall and then plugged back in.
If you get no signs of life after a week, disassembly would likely be required. I have not had much luck after liquid spills about 95% of the time when I was in the retail repair world, the computers main boards were destroyed. The biggestest determining factor was the amount of liquid that was spilled.
Edited by zingo156, 14 March 2014 - 10:12 AM.