Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iphones and ipads maxing out company internet connection, need to do QOS

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:53 AM

Hey all, the company that I work for has about 200 ios devices, every time an ios update is released it seems the connection is maxed out for about a week. People are not always in the office, crews get back and when they get in the building and connect to wifi, there goes the connection. I know it is apple devices because I use wireshark and link the highest use IP's with the DHCP server (which tells me the name of the device connected with that IP). Every time it is an iphone or ipad. Even 1 device can max it out for a short period of time. I do not want to setup QOS for every single device (using mac address) rather just limit apples incoming data to about half the bandwidth.

I know how to use QOS, but I do not know the apple servers ports or where to find the info, I looked on google for a little while, I guess I am not using the correct terms. I will continue to look for their update server info, if anyone knows off hand I would appreciate the help, thanks.

Edited by zingo156, 14 March 2014 - 09:07 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:07 AM

I think I found the info I was looking for here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1629 in case anyone else is in this situation. The update port appears to be;

80 TCP Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) 2616 http World Wide Web, iCloud, QuickTime Installer, iTunes Store and Radio, Software Update, RAID Admin, Backup, iCal calendar publishing, WebDAV (iDisk), Final Cut Server, AirPlay, OS X Lion Internet Restore, Profile Manager, Xcode Server (Xcode app, hosted and remote Git HTTP, remote SVN HTTP).
If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 zingo156

zingo156
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:12 AM

Hmm, it seems I may be out of luck just limiting apple incoming with port 80 being the used port. Problem: I could setup qos for every mac address but setting a limit of 2.5mb for each device will still allow 4 of them to max out the connection. Is there a more specific way to limit apple's update server by using IP perhaps. FYI I am using a modified linksys router running Tomato. (I love tomato, use it at home as well!).

Edited by zingo156, 14 March 2014 - 09:16 AM.

#4 zingo156

zingo156
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:25 AM

Well I have a thought but it would require setting up an entirely different wireless connection throughout the building. Probably need another 6 wifi routers. I could just connect the ios devices to this separate wifi network and limit that connection to half the total bandwidth. This seems the easiest method.

Anyone else have any thoughts? Makes me wonder how a large company with 1000's of devices would manage it, maybe they just wouldn't allow the ios devices to be connected to the network. The separate wifi connection would seem the easiest solution in a large environment as well.

Edited by zingo156, 14 March 2014 - 03:30 PM.

#5 zingo156

zingo156
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:52 AM

I think I may have found a different solution: http://www.enterpriseios.com/story/2013/09/17/How_to_use_DNS_to_block_iOS_7_and_other_updates_too

Just re-route or block the update server, the URL is in that link as well. I can probably set up a time before and after normal operating hours to allow the updates to work.

Edited by zingo156, 14 March 2014 - 10:10 AM.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:08 PM

]Makes me wonder how a large company with 1000's of devices would manage it,

Apple devices not allowed on the company network.  At least that is the way it was handled where I've been.

#7 zingo156

zingo156
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:29 PM

Personal devices are not currenlty allowed. We use apple devices for all of our field crew as their company mobile phones, also they have ipads for LTE hotspot. Eventually I will have to either limit them or remove them entirely from the company network. I think I may setup a 2nd wifi connection and limit it that way. We still want them to be able to use the device when on company ground.

I am thinking I will use a new layer 3 switch connected to 5-6 new wifi routers and then limit the new connection. All of the ios/android devices will be required to connect to that network and kicked from the other. There might be other options, I am still looking into limiting apples servers from the tomato firmware router.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users