Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Got teething troubles after switching from XP to Win7

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:49 AM

Hi, because XP support ends next month, I've just switched to Win7 Home Edition and am working my way through adjusting all the thousand-and-one settings and prefs etc.
At the moment I'm being hit with constant pop-ups (for bingo, poker, roulette etc) when I go to IE in Win7 and I don't know how to block them because there's no IE toolbar along the top of the screen.
Any advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:49 AM

Check Grinler's pinned post above on Win 7 Tutorials.  This is what I'm using.

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:48 AM

You might want to consider a different browser. I use Chrome and the Ad Block Plus extension blocks all that stuff.

#4 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:56 AM

Frank, thank you again.  We new ones to Win 7 need all the help we can get from other's experience and the quicker the better.

#5 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:06 PM

Thanks everybody, i'll check out your advice but in the meantime can I throw another question at you?-

My HannsG HL249 monitor's native resolution is 1920 x 1080 but I've never liked it and have been using the more comfortable 1360 x 768 on WinXP.

But when I select 1360 x 768 under Win7 it looks horrible, the picture is stretched out horizontally and there's a black band across the top of the screen!

I've tried all the other reso options but they ALL look as bad with stretching and/or black bands along top or sides.

The only one that fits the screen without stretching or bands is the native 1920 x 1080 which I don't want!

It's the exact same monitor I used with WinXP, so it's a mystery why I can't find a comfortable reso with Win7.

Any suggestions? 

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:44 PM

In the 1360 X 768 resolution, go into the menu of your monitor and select Auto-adjust. This will only work if you are using the VGA port and not the DVI port.

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:56 PM

Windows 7 handles LCD panels much better than XP.  Set your resolution to 1920 x 1080 and let Windows 7 make your items larger.

Right click a blank area on your desktop and select Personalize.  Select Display in the lower left corner.  Set the size to at least Medium - 125%, a log off will be required to see the change.  If that isn't large enough set it to Larger - 150%

#8 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:38 AM

You can also zoom in while in most browsers by holding the CTRL key and using your mousewheel.

Using the native resolution of your screen should grant you the best quality.

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#9 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:11 AM

Thanks guys, I'm still trying to iron out teething troubles after switching from XP to Win 7 a few weeks ago.

Most serious is the fact that some of my games now stutter badly or won't run at all with Win 7 even though they ran fine with XP.

Also annoying is the fact that I can't get a crisp clear monitor pic with Win 7 some of the time, as some text is slightly blurry.

Now something else has cropped up- my Nvidia settings are being ignored by some games! 

In the past with Win XP, if a game looked dull, I could adjust the Nvidia sliders to make it look brighter, but that won't work with Win 7 with some games, the game continues looking dull! 

#10 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:04 AM

PS- I'm beginning to suspect I may be virused or spywared or something;  I only use AVG for protection , this is its opening screen and I've run scans but my games still stutter-
Is AVG alone good enough or do you think I should also install a prog like AdAware?

8d7l.jpg

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:15 AM

Hit the "ALT" key to make your XP style Windows menu appear above the main I.E. window.

Please read => This Post I copied from quietman7 about the redirecting programs, and how to reset your browsers.

These are the most common solutions to eliminating the pop-up ads.

1. Go to Control Panel => Programs and Features if using Vista / Windows 7/8.

2. Open your browser and disable (uncheck) all extensions. Make a list, then one by one, re-enable each extension to see if the pop-ups start appearing again with that particular extension. Once you identify the responsible extension...permanently remove it but let me know which one it was so I can update the above list in the original post.

* How to Disable Extensions in Google Chrome - How to Uninstall Extensions in Google Chrome
* How To Disable Individual Plug-ins in Google Chrome <- try only if the above does not work
* How to Disable Extensions and Plugins in Firefox - How to Remove Extensions/Uninstall Plugins in Firefox
* How to Disable Extensions in Internet Explorer
* How to Disable Add-ons/Extensions in Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome
* How to Disable all add-ons in Firefox, Internet Explorer

3. If the above did not resolve the problem, then create a new browser user profile.
* How to Create a new browser user profile in Google Chrome
* How to Create a new browser user profile in Firefox
* How to Create a new browser user profile in Opera, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome

The link at the top shows the most common pests to attach to your Add-ons & Extensions and how to fix them

AdAware is a bit outdated for most of these, so just run a clean Scan with AdwCleaner by Xplode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users