Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can a bluetooth headset produce decent audio while using the microphone?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 seanspotatobusiness

seanspotatobusiness

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:34 AM

I have a bluetooth headset (LG electronics HBS-730) which I can use to listen to music via my phone or desktop PC. The quality of sound is great. When I try to use it as a headset (thereby activating the mic) for playing a game, the sound quality is atrocious.

It is probably of relevance that the battery is rated as 15 hours talk-time or 10 hours music. This suggests that the device reduces the bandwidth used and thereby conserves energy when in conversation (and therefore not needing high quality sound reproduction).

Is there some way I can make the device use its microphone without reducing the quality of sound reproduction?

--------------------------------------

System 6 (Codename: Seantron2000 - Commissioned: Feb 2010 - Status: Operational):
OS: Win 7 64-bit - Mainboard: Gigabyte GA 790FXTA-UD5 - CPU: AMD Phenom II 965 X4 - RAM: OCZ Black Ed 2x2GB DDR3-1600 - System drive: OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD; Data drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB HDD - Graphics: Sapphire HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 - PSU: Thermaltake 705w 700W - Case: Fractal Define R2

Edited by seanspotatobusiness, 14 March 2014 - 07:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:15 PM

What are you using to transmit the sound?  I've use a bluetooth headset with Vent without any issues, so the device should be capable.  The trick will be setting up the software to function properly with the device.

#3 seanspotatobusiness

seanspotatobusiness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:15 PM

What are you using to transmit the sound?  I've use a bluetooth headset with Vent without any issues, so the device should be capable.  The trick will be setting up the software to function properly with the device.

By Vent do you mean Ventrilo?

I'm using a cheap bluetooth dongle that I bought on eBay about 10 years ago. It came with BlueSoleil and connecting to my headset 10 years ago was always unreliable. I've now got a more updated version of BlueSoleil but it's still proving troublesome even now.

What's your hardware and software? Maybe I should just copy your arrangement?

Edited by seanspotatobusiness, 14 March 2014 - 08:16 PM.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:48 PM

Yes, VentriloThese are the settings I used to normalize Ventrilo.

I don't remember the Bluetooth dongle I was using, I believe it was an Asus model.  The head set I was using was  something like a Jabra Wave.  I don't raid any more, so I haven't needed the set up in years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users