Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infinite Reboot Loop May Be Caused by Video Driver

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SoriduSnakku

SoriduSnakku

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:22 AM

Recently I made a bunch of changes to my computer, and I'm not sure what may have caused this but I will describe the changes I made, what happened after the changes:

1. Uninstalled a bunch of old different versions of C++ Redistributable up to the 2012 versions. Steam is known for installing a bunch of different versions of C++ Redistributable for different games so I wanted to clean some up.

Results: No visible changes to computer.

2. Installed and attempted to play F1 2013. It was free on Steam so I tried to play it.

Results: No visible changes

3. Installed a Logitech driver for a Logitech Driving Force GT Racing Wheel.

Results: None to computer performance, however, F1 2013 crashed mid-play and would not exit, had to reboot.

4. Attempted to play F1 with racing wheel again. F1 crashed sooner than before, heavy visual artifacting, and BSOD to reboot.

Results: Desktop acting slow. No visible changes.

5. Attempted to play Richard Burns Rally. Game seemed to work fine, except for a problem with flickering at one point. Restarting the game fixed it.

Results: Desktop worked fine, until I attempted to watch a Flash video with Firefox. At that point, the desktop started flickering wildly and the computer BSOD and crashed.

6. Attempted same, restarted computer and booted up Firefox. Seemed to work fine until I started watching flash videos.

Since then the problem has gotten worse. It's gone from flickering randomly after not starting any program, to the latest problem, in which it's stuck in an infinite reboot loop. HOWEVER: the reboot loop does not occur when I have the video driver for my Nvidia GTX 470. Uninstalled. I attempted to uninstall the driver completely with a clean sweep and then reinstall, but upon reinstallation, the computer is caught in an infinite reboot loop.

I attempted to System Restore, but the only options were from earlier today, and they did not fix the problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:31 PM

Hi,

It sounds like you may have deleted one or more programs needed by the system to operate correctly.

My recommendation would be to do a clean install of the operating system and then a careful addition of the other programs you have to have. Be sure to include a security suite with a real time scanner to protect yourself.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users