Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MBR Problem

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:26 PM

I hope this is the right place for this - stats are in my sig.

I updated IE, and rebooted my computer. I cannot provide the entire error message because it scrolls by too fast - suffice to say, the final message is "Boot failed!"

I have an old Hiren's Boot Disk, which has proven useless - everything on it is for the FAT file system, not NTFS. I've never dealt with this before, it's way out of my depth.

Can anyone provide a possible solution? I do have a system drive image created with DriveImage XML, but obviously, cannot access it at this point.

Help?

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,209 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:05 PM

Try booting into 'Safe Mode' - tap the 'F8' key a few times when you get the BIOS screen visible - then choose 'Windows Repair' down towards the bottom of the boot options screen.

Let the computer cycle through the repair routine, it may fix the problem. If it does, re-boot and carry on as normal. It probably won't, at least that is my experience, but it will then give you the option of advanced repair options. Choose these, and you will eventually come to a screen which asks 'Do you wish to restore Windows to an earlier point ?'. Click 'Accept' or 'Yes' and you will come to the restore screen. You need to pick a restore point dating to before when this trouble started. If the one or two offered in the screen are not old enough, there is a button below to see more restore points. Once you have selected a restore point, click 'Start restore' and let the computer do its thing, up to about five minutes typically. When it finishes, it will probably ask you to re-boot. do so, and you should be back to normal.

If you are not, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 570 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:52 AM

Been through this process. Booting into safe mode fails, and booting with the original CD, to use the repair options, all of them fail. They do not recognize the drive. From a command line reached via the Hiren's boot CD, I can see all drives, and SuperFdisk reads the system drive at least to the extent that it knows there is a corrupted MBR. I can't repair, though, because this version is so old, there are no NTFS utilities on it.

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,837 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:07 AM

A suggestion.

Installing unbuntu alongside windows may fix this so you can boot into what ever mode and do the repairs.

USE THIS METHOD AT OWN RISK BUT.

Edited by NickAu1, 14 March 2014 - 04:08 AM.

#5 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 570 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:57 AM

At the moment, I just barely booted with an Ubuntu CD. I'm going to poke around and see if I can do anything - if not, it occurs to me that perhaps I can create a Windows Live CD with the laptop, and give that a try. Will that even work, does anyone know? If I can access either System Restore or DriveImage XML, I can repair this.

Edit: I don't like the sound of this - I tried a reboot, yet again, after attempting another repair from the original Windows CD. The message now reads:

Missing operating system.

BOOTMGR is missing

Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

I'll keep poking around the web while I hope for one of you guys here to have a solution - or some very bad news...

Edited by MelissaPleases, 14 March 2014 - 08:21 AM.

#6 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 570 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:13 PM

Just to update - I've found nothing that will help me with this on the web. If anyone knows of a reliable Windows Live CD that I might download somewhere, that would be great. Barring that, if you could point me to some very idiot-proof instructions on how to create one myself, I'm willing to give it a shot.

Waiting anxiously - please don't let me down, BC!! :D

#7 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 570 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:28 PM

A suggestion.

Installing unbuntu alongside windows may fix this so you can boot into what ever mode and do the repairs.

NickAu1, I'm not quite sure how to do this. Do I need to create a partition for Ubuntu, or will the installation process do that for me? And once installed, I'm not sure what you mean by being "able to boot into whatever mode." Forgive me being slow with this - I seldom have to deal with issues like this.

I've used an Ubuntu CD to run under Linux, so I've been able to make certain that all of my data files and folders are backed up to a safe drive. Given that, I'm not overly concerned should your suggestion trash the OS - but I would FAR prefer that it not. I'd like to avoid having to do a completely new, clean installation of Windows if I can. But if it does trash the OS beyond repair, it won't be the end of the world for me.

If I could just access DriveImage XML, I could recreate my system, which I made an image of about two weeks ago.

Any kind of instructions you could give, regarding the installation of Ubuntu and trying to fix things from there would be appreciated.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:11 PM

Can you access the command prompt under repair options of the install disk?

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-repair-windows-7-system-installation-disc.htm

At this point is the OS listed and what is the drive letter shown?

OWV81.explore3.step2-580-90.jpg

At the command prompt type then reboot

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

bootrec /rebuildbcd

#9 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 570 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:56 PM

I can access the command prompt, but only after clicking "Load drivers," then "Cancel," then "Next," then "Next." There are no drives showing in the initial screen where I should select the drive to be repaired.

At the command prompt:

After using bootrec /fixmbr: "The operation completed successfully."

After using bootrec /fixboot: "Element not found."

After using bootrec /rebuildbcd: "Scanning all disks for Windows installations.

Please wait, since this may take a while...

Successfully scanned Windows installations.

Total identified Windows installations: 0

The opereation completed successfully."

At this point, I attempted a reboot, with the Windows CD still in the CD droive. It did the normal Windows CD startup process, there were still no drives listed in the initial screen. I proceeded through to a command prompt and tried bootrec /fixboot again, with the same result.

I should note that early on in this nightmare, I was forced to enter the BIOS and change the boot order so that the Windows CD, and the Ubuntu CD I used to back up files, could be read. Prior to changing the boot order, the computer would not proceed far enouigh into the boot process to even offer the option of booting from the CD. I'm not sure of the impoprtance of that fact, but it seems that it must have some meaning.

Edited by MelissaPleases, 14 March 2014 - 06:57 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:44 PM

In command prompt type the following commands

diskpart

list disk

Is the hard drive listed?

It should likely say disk 0 with the capacity listed.

type the following commands

select disk 0  (or other number for your listed drive)

list partition

What partitions are listed, their numbers and sizes

#11 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 570 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:56 PM

Before I do that (which I will in just a moment), this is interesting. I am presently running under an Ubuntu CD, and exploring the computer shows something very interesting. I have four drives in this computer: 2 TB, 250 GB, 200 GB, and 160 GB. These drives are all showing, but I also see 6 instance listed as separate entries: 200 GB Hard Disk: Boot. Attempting to open one of those drives shows a folder labeled System Volume Information, which is empty in each case.

I will attempt your suggestion in a few minutes - I have to feed my family first. :D

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:07 PM

I was looking to select the disk you know has the Windows partition.

I was trying to get the computer to boot without resorting to using your Driveimage XML image. It is available as a boot CD but is experimental;

https://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-live-cd.htm

#13 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:22 PM

Did your HD or PC come with a drivers cd? You probably need to put the disk in and point it to the cdrom drive that has the drivers to the HD.

Edited by technonymous, 14 March 2014 - 08:25 PM.

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,837 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:53 PM

A suggestion.

NickAu1, I'm not quite sure how to do this. Do I need to create a partition for Ubuntu, or will the installation process do that for me? And once installed, I'm not sure what you mean by being "able to boot into whatever mode." Forgive me being slow with this - I seldom have to deal with issues like this.

I've used an Ubuntu CD to run under Linux, so I've been able to make certain that all of my data files and folders are backed up to a safe drive. Given that, I'm not overly concerned should your suggestion trash the OS - but I would FAR prefer that it not. I'd like to avoid having to do a completely new, clean installation of Windows if I can. But if it does trash the OS beyond repair, it won't be the end of the world for me.

If I could just access DriveImage XML, I could recreate my system, which I made an image of about two weeks ago.

Any kind of instructions you could give, regarding the installation of Ubuntu and trying to fix things from there would be appreciated.

Linux can see the drives and they work.

Please Try the suggestions other people are posting Re your problems first.

Yes my suggestion could trash the Os . If not done with care and instructions.

But trying to install Linux you can Cancel the operation way before this happens.

By attempting to install linux along side windows it would give us some idea if the windows files are still there if they are not linux would say they are not.

You wouldnt get that far into the instalation and it wouldnt damage anything.

DO NOT USE THIS METHOD UNSUPERVISED

I updated IE, and rebooted my computer

Lets assume that damaged the windows bootloader.

If this is just a boot issue with your pc installing unbuntu along side windows may fix this because linux would install its own bootloader. When you reboot after the linux install, you would get a choice of booting Linux or any other Operating system that the boot loader may see eg Windows. Now you would select boot Windows and go thru the process of sys restore or or get into cmd to do what ever it is you do when you fix windows before it boots.

See how he gets a choice of Operating system to boot???

http://youtu.be/GVppdkOThCs

Edited by NickAu1, 14 March 2014 - 09:18 PM.

#15 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 570 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:41 PM

First, I misspoke when I stated that I have been trying to use the Win 7 original CD. I was using a Win 7 x64 Repair Disk - the original CD was able to give me all of the drive information - at least, I think it's all here. I'm going to provide the information that JohnC requested - it is a complete mess, I'm afraid:

Drive 0 Partition 1: Miscellaneous - Total Size: 232.9GB; Free: 232.3GB; Type: Primary

Drive 1 Unallocated Space - Total Size: 4.5GB; Free: 4.5GB; Type: (not listed)

Drive 1 Partition 1: Boot - Total Size: 3.0MB; Free: 0.0MB; Type: Primary

Drive 1 Unallocated Space - Total Size: 28.5GB; Free: 28.5GB; Type: (not listed)

Drive 1 Unallocated Space - Total Size: 0.0MB; Free: 0.0MB; Type: Extended

Drive 1 Partition 2: Boot - Total Size: 3.0MB; Free: 0.0MB; Type: Logical

Drive 1 Unallocated Space - Total Size: 462.0MB; Free: 462MB; Type: Extended

Drive 1 Partition 3: Boot - Total Size: 3.0MB; Free: 0.0MB; Type: Logical

Drive 1 Unallocated Space - Total Size: 3.0MB; Free: 3.0MB; Type: Extended

Drive 1 Partition 4: Boot - Total Size: 3.0MB; Free: 0.0MB; Type: Logical

Drive 1 Unallocated Space - Total Size: 1.2GB; Free: 1.2GB; Type: Extended

Drive 1 Partition 5: Boot - Total Size: 3.0MB; Free: 0.0MB; Type: Logical

Drive 1 Unallocated Space - Total Size: 17.3GB; Free: 17.3GB; Type: Extended

Drive 1 Partition 6: Boot - Total Size: 3.0MB; Free: 0.0MB; Type: Logical

Drive 1 Unallocated Space - Total Size: 134.2GB; Free: 134.2GB; Type: Logical

Drive 2 Partition 1: Movies And Music - Total Size: 1863.0GB; Free: 1138.8GB; Type: System

Drive 3 Partition 1: (No Label) - Total Size: 149.0GB; Free: 148.8GB; Type: System

For what it's worth, "Miscellaneous" (Drive 0 above) is normally my D drive, "Movies And Music" (Drive 2 above) is my G drive, what shows as "Drive 3" above should be my F drive. So, I'm assuming that my Windows installation is located on Drive 1.

I haven't done anything further with this. I will wait for instructions. As I said previously, I am running Ubuntu directly from a CD, I have not installed it to any HDD.

NickAu, I'll wait before I attempt an actual Ubuntu installation. I've been wanting to try it, I just didn't want to do so under these circumstances, lol.

Technonymous,I'll give that a try, thank you.

Edited by MelissaPleases, 14 March 2014 - 09:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users