Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe Mode and Start Up Repair - No Cursor to choose any options

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Castle Robin

Castle Robin

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:21 PM

Here is a cross reference to my previous notes:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526066/potential-worm/page-3 from

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526066/potential-worm/

Safe Mode - Upon pressing the key "F8" several times during Start Up, my computer bypasses over Safe Mode and starts up correctly.  Safe Mode only works if I turn off my computer at the tower's power switch where "Safe Mode", "Safe Mode with Networking", etc can then be seen, but I have no means to activate these modes, due to no cursor appearing when I move my mouse.

Start Up Repair - Upon being given the option to repair my start up when my computer briefly crashed one morning last week, I had no means to activate it manually.  Unlike Safe Mode, the Start Up Repair started automatically which corrected the fault and allowed me to restart my computer which corrected the problem, but I'd like to restore the option to manually click on options in Windows 7, like with previous computers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:20 PM

You cannot use a mouse in the Boot options screen prior to entering Safe Mode for the simple reason that at this point the mouse drivers have not been loaded. Use the up and down arrow keys to move up and down the options, and when you have settled on the one you want - press the Enter key. You do in fact have a cursor of sorts, but it is a white underscore, not a pointer.

For some of us, this is a trip down memory lane to DOS and no GUIs; for somewhat younger users it is something of a cultural shock !

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Castle Robin

Castle Robin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:25 PM

Ah, now I see.  It's ages since I used Safe Mode that I'd forgotten the mouse is inaccessible at this stage.

I still can't get Safe Mode to load during start up.  I can only load it if I turn off my computer at the tower.

Surprisingly (unlike with my former computer with Windows Vista), at least my computer with Windows 7 still won't allow me to access Safe Mode, even with the up and down arrow keys.  I've used the same keyboard as before, so I can rule that out, but why is my access blocked and how do I gain it on this computer?

As far as I know, it's not because I'm using Windows 7, but it's since I've been using this operating system in conjunction with this fairly new computer.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,707 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:05 PM

In general the way into Safe Mode is to tap the F8 key while the BIOS screen is showing, immediately after switching on. The BIOS screen is the one usually with the manufacturer's name splashed prominently across it,

What, if anything, happens when you tap the F8 key ?  It should not be necessary to turn off the mains input to the tower before you try this.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Castle Robin

Castle Robin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:29 AM

The BIOS screen displays very briefly, but I caught it in time to activate the "Safe Mode"/"Safe Mode with Networking"/"Start Windows Normally" options screen.

The bad news is that, upon seeing the above screen, as the arrows still don't work, I have to wait for the seconds to count down automatically to load "Start Windows Normally", the only option that works.

As far as I know, it's not a Windows 7 issue, but it's only happened since I've used this computer with this operating system.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,707 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:14 PM

The BIOS screen seldom displays for very long !

I don't think I have come across the problem as you describe it, Safe mode can sometimes be difficult to get to, but once I've got there I have always managed to navigate using the up and down arrow keys. Although as long as your computer is booting normally this isn't too much of a problem.

The only thing I can suggest is you run the chkdsk /r command.

Click 'Start - All programs - Accessories' then RIGHT click on 'Command prompt' and select 'Run as Administrator'. You will get a DOS type screen with some text on it. Just type 'chkdsk /r' - without the quotes, but with a space between the k and the / - and press enter. You will then get a message saying it cannot run because the disc is in use, do you want it to run at next boot ? Type a 'Y' or 'Yes' - whichever it asks for and re-boot the computer. When it starts it will go into the chkdsk routine. Be warned that, depending on the size of your 'C' drive, this can take the best part of an hour so don't do it when you need your computer in the next five minutes.

At the end of the process, which has five stages, it will report any problems and whether or not it fixed them. If you are still having problems, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 Castle Robin

Castle Robin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:38 AM

I've now run the Check Disk command, but while it's good that nothing adverse has shown up, I still can't get the arrow keys to work.  It must be my computer, rather than Windows 7, as the arrows always worked on my previous computer, although that was a 32 bit processor.

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,707 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:20 PM

This could be getting silly, but it could be your keyboard !  I am running 64 bit Win 7 and my arrow keys work all the time.

The simplest way to check this is to go into a Text file, word doc or spreadsheet and see if you can move around using the arrow keys. If you can't, or the keys do not move you one space every time you press on them, try a different keyboard. Just borrow one if you can, if you can't, basic USB wired keyboards are not expensive.

However, if they do work when Windows is up and running but don't work in safe mode, I'm afraid I am out of ideas. Keyboards can - and do - fail. I just binned my last one two weeks ago because of unreliable shift keys.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 Castle Robin

Castle Robin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:10 PM

Unfortunately it's not my keyboard.  I used the same keyboard (wired) with my previous computer and this fairly new one which is wireless and used for less than a week.  The result is the same.

It has to be something to do with this computer, as on the rare occasions I needed to go into Safe Mode (or my computer developed a fault that caused it to automatically display the Safe Mode screen), my previous computer always allowed me to access the arrow keys and choose "Safe Mode" and "Safe Mode with Networking".

Looking online, it turns out that I'm not the only person who's experienced this problem, but trying to find a straightforward solution isn't that simple.

One piece of good news, of a sort, but not the perfect solution, is that Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Networking can be accessed via "System Configuration".  You tick "Safe Boot" then "Minimal" or "Networking", restart your computer and it's in the Safe Mode of your choice.  The downside is that you have to go back into System Configuration to change the setting to "Normal" to revert to standard mode.  This is better than nothing, but I can't understand why This computer is blocking access to Safe Mode through the standard method, other than just being able to view the options.  I'm surprised that the seller of the computer didn't notice this, but he mustn't have, but should have tested Safe Mode.  I'll have to consult him to put this right.

PS: This is a first.  As I tried to send off an e-mail, instead of saying "You have sent this e-mail to...", the e-mail page switched to my Browser! :o  I didn't know that could happen.  Luckily, the e-mail had auto saved, so wasn't lost after all.  I then clicked on "Send" again, and this time, it was confirmed as sent successfully.

Edited by Castle Robin, 25 March 2014 - 01:01 PM.

#10 Castle Robin

Castle Robin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:21 AM

Finally, I can now enable the arrows to move up and down in Safe Mode, but new problems have occurred, for which I am having to use another person's computer.

A Windows Update seems to be the initial cause of the problems, as I kept getting prompted after Start Up to install my already installed Microsoft keyboard after installing the Windows update.  It turns out that this update is not recommended (and won't uninstall, as it's not listed in Windows Updates but was definitely installed).

I attempted two System Restores, but both failed for some reason.

I uninstalled the Keyboard driver via Device Manager, removed the keyboard's USB lead then re-inserted it (from a recommendation to another person online) and I got the prompt to install my keyboard again.

I also tried removing the lead then turning off my computer at the tower.  My keyboard now only works to activate Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, etc, and my Mouse light no longer displays.  My mouse is already installed, but its light no longer illuminates.

I also noticed my Clock (bottom right of screen) temporarily displayed the US date, eg 04/14/2014 then reverted to 14/04/2014 during Start Up.

A window pops up stating that a device's driver software (my keyboard) is being installed, which takes forever, then, eventually, it says the installation failed.

As I can’t extend the Sleep Mode to delay going into hibernation, it’s pure luck if an Installation update appears in time before my computer goes to sleep.

My keyboard and mouse don’t work on my computer but both play fine on another person’s computer, so it’s definitely something to do with my computer which is obstructing these devices.  My keyboard’s Number lock works and the Arrow keys for activating Safe Mode, but nothing more.  My mouse doesn’t work at all but it lights up and operates on the other person’s computer.

I have tested the mice on each other’s computers and neither work on mine.  I’ve also checked all USB ports, all to no avail. 

Since retrying to get my computer back to normal, I had to turn it off at the tower and then got an additional to option to "Repair your computer".  I opted for this, but it required a password so couldn’t proceed.

My Online Connection status colour is Yellow, so reduced power, yet the other person's computer is in full online power.

My keyboard only works if I plug in the USB lead before switching on my computer (which activates the Number lock).

For some reason, My mouse doesn’t light up, but while the other person’s mouse on my computer does light up, that, also won’t move the cursor.

CHKDSK came up as an option, with nothing negative found.

The "Safe Mode" etc window option appears without me having to click on "F8".

Also, a folder that I never created appeared during what attempted Start Up called "Home Group Folder".

I then found and tried out the option "Last Known Good Configuration", but this has not resolved the problem.  Instead, Avast came up with an "Avast !" error window.

What is causing the above issues? And how do I restore my computer back to normal, without losing files currently saved only on my hard drive?

Edited by Castle Robin, 14 April 2014 - 02:23 PM.

#11 Castle Robin

Castle Robin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:44 AM

Can you please remove this, moderators?, as all information is now contained within the one above message of earlier today.

Edited by Castle Robin, 14 April 2014 - 02:24 PM.

#12 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,707 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:51 PM

I understand, from your PM, that you have given up the struggle and have taken it back to your supplier for them to have a go at it.

It would help the rest of us here, should this strange problem crop up again, if you could post back with whatever they say was the cause or even whatever they do to fix it. This sort of knowledge is always useful !

Chris Cosgrove

#13 Castle Robin

Castle Robin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:19 AM

I understand, from your PM, that you have given up the struggle and have taken it back to your supplier for them to have a go at it.

That’s right.  It was my only option in this case, as nobody came forward on the forum due to the type of outcome which could only be fixed by the seller. 

It would help the rest of us here, should this strange problem crop up again, if you could post back with whatever they say was the cause or even whatever they do to fix it. This sort of knowledge is always useful !

For that reason, I will retract my PM request for you to delete the two recent forum messages above yours. 

Following on from these, my computer couldn’t be fixed by the forum, as the seller told me in his own words that my computer had been infected. 

Initially he said it was a "very bad virus" then later said it was spyware and that spyware infections are much more common than viruses these days and he didn't know the name of the spyware, as he managed to regain access to my computer but couldn't delete the spyware so he had to format my drive.  I'd never realised Spyware could block access to a user's computer, which I always thought was just a nuisance at most and always possible to remove, eg through Super AntiSpyware but malware makers (collectively comprising various forms of bad programs/web sites) have come leaps and bounds in more recent years in increasingly easily infecting users' computers despite users' safe use of their computers.  I couldn't use my computer altogether other than to click on the options "Safe Mode", Safe Mode with Networking, Repair Your Computer, etc with the arrows on my keyboard, as my keyboard mostly and my mouse altogether were left redundant.  When I clicked on Safe Mode, the Safe Mode screen appeared within seconds, as normal, but then my access was blocked, as the spyware prevented my keyboard and mouse from being recognised when I unplugged then re-inserted their USB leads and prevented my keyboard’s drivers from being re-installed.

It’s possible a Windows Update was bogus or was genuine but got infected, as a prompt to install “Microsoft – Keyboard – Microsoft Hardware USB Keyboard”, 223 KB as an optional Windows Update appeared again earlier today, which I declined installing today, as the moment I installed it last week I got prompted every time my computer loaded to install the already installed Microsoft keyboard drivers, which some other site says don’t need updating.  When I uninstalled then reinstalled the drivers, the same prompt still appeared.  After uninstalling then reinstalling the keyboard drivers, lastly leaving the USB leads unplugged before switching my computer back on, my access suddenly then became blocked.  Possibly a coincidence, but I’m unsure.  I also had a bogus e-mail a few days before the crash – one of those sent by an imposter using a familiar contact’s name.  Any of these things could have led to my computer being blocked access from, although if the e-mail was the source of the problem, it didn’t initiate the blockage until a few days later.

Edited by Castle Robin, 21 April 2014 - 04:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users