Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop CPU overheating

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 smail35

smail35

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:50 PM

Greetings everybody.

My laptop is a TOSHIBA (dynabook) : satellite A660

model:TX/98MBL

motherboard: Toshiba NWQAA

CPU: intel core i7 740qm 2000MHZ clarksfield

GP: nvidia Geforce gts 350m (3D)

it came from japan .

it's running with an original japanese windows 7 home premium and a french language interface

the problem that it's cpu overheats quickly, about 65 degree at startup and when i run some requiring graphism apps or videos it's temperature rises at 100 degree and it shuts down itself. i opened it and i cleaned it's cooling fun system and the heatsink but the problem is still persists knowing that the battery's autonomy is weak(25min) i changed it with a new original battery but i have the same problem ....please help me what i have to do

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:13 PM

G'day mate, when you took the laptop apart did you clean the old paste and reapply the thermal paste for the CPU and GPU?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 smail35

smail35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:03 PM

greetings

i reapplied the thermal paste for both CPU and GPU but i did not cleaned the old paste i found it dried

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:24 PM

Hello, I suggest that you clean the old thermal paste by applying Isopropyl Alcohol 70% to a clean rag and wiping off all thermal grease.

This type of alcohol can be found in most retail stores.

Apply a new bead of thermal grease (paste)  on each heat sink and slowly apply the recommended pressure to spread the paste evenly. 

Please avoid using too much thermal grease as this can have negative effects, such as creating a barrier too thick to allow proper heat transfer from the die (heat spreader) to the heat sink.

Artic Silver 5 is a good compound to try, just be careful not to get it on other components as it does contain traces of silver grains that can conduct electricity.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 smail35

smail35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:50 PM

hi, thanks Mrbruce i will do what you told me and i want to add an information may be it will be useful; the working frequency of the CPU is over 2000MHZ it is about 2500MHZ

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:12 AM

the working frequency of the CPU is over 2000MHZ it is about 2500MHZ

That would be turbo boost doing it's job :)

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users