Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scary hardware lockup screen

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 chaslinux

chaslinux

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:45 PM

vertical-lines.jpgI've seen this problem a few times on different systems where under Windows or Linux a system locks up and displays striping. In one of the systems we tested the memory using Memtest86+, the CPU in another motherboard (the first system was a then brand new BIOSTAR GeForce 6100-M9 motherboard - several years ago and the power supply (tested using a power supply tester that shows voltages, not just the LED lights) - all of which tested good. All the components were brand new and nothing was overclocked. Years later I saw the same problem on the same motherboard from BIOSTAR, but also recently on an MSI motherboard. When I first saw this problem I suspected that something might need to be reflowed on the motherboard. Typically I'd look at the motherboard last, but since I tested the RAM, CPU and PSU on another board and they tested good I figured it must be the motherboard. Has anyone else run into this diagonal striping lock ups and tracked it to something other than the motherboard?

Cheers and thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:09 PM

I assume you left out or removed all other hardware from the main boards (hard drives, disc drives, pic/pci-e cards, case usb/audio headers etc...) and were using onboard video? Also did you test with a different video cable/monitor? I have seen main board video chipsets cause this problem on many occasions, some brand new out of the box.

I have also seen a few computers that would freak out with possible screen glitches when a usb/ps2 KVM switch was plugged in. I always test with no usb devices plugged in, just a monitor, if it fully posts then I plug in a standard wired usb keyboard or ps/2 if it has the option.

I never trust standard voltage reading power supply testers as they almost never put a load on the psu, I always test with a new or known working psu on the suspect main board.

I built my own psu tester which consisted of 10 recycled dell 12volt 2.65 amp blower style fans and a pentium 4. The fans alone consume about 300watts. The p4 used another ~80. I had used an extra 24pin extender connector in the middle of the psu and the mainboard so I could test voltages (using a multimeter) with the psu under load. I found quite a few power supplies that were bad that a standard voltage psu tester failed to catch. Maybe there are some pass through psu testers which might allow you to hook up the suspect computer and run that through the tester, at least you would get a loaded test this way.

Edited by zingo156, 13 March 2014 - 03:23 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users