Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloading on windows 7 from internet

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 patbraley

patbraley

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:25 PM

Whenever I try to download something it gives error message saying it can't open and then the windows box comes up saying internet explorer stopped working. What is causing this? Does anyone know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:48 PM

Hi! :hello: please follow the below instructions

Minitoolbox log.

Download "Minitoolbox" from the below link.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/

Run the tool and only select the following tick boxes.

List last 10 Event viewer errors
List installed program
List users, partition and memory size

Now click "Go" and post the output displayed in next reply.

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

#3 patbraley

patbraley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:47 PM

I tried it will not let me download anything at all.  Is there something in my set up that is prohibiting me from downloading?

Thank You

patbraley

#4 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:59 PM

something is definitely not right! but we will try and figure it out together. 

what is the make and model of your pc?

when did this start happening?

did you make any software changes recently at all? new anti virus? Toolbars added to internet explorer? Windows updates? Etc.

Did you have any recent malware/virus infections?

i want you to try resetting IE first following the below instruction

Step 1: In this step, you will open the Internet Explorer. Move the cursor to the top-right of your browser screen and click the gear-shaped icon or tool.

internet-explorer-in-windows8.jpg

Step 2: After clicking on the gear-shaped icon, you will see the small drop-down menu and in this drop-down menu, click on "Internet Option".

internet-explorer-option-in-windows8.jpg

Step 3: In this step, you will see the "Internet Option". Click on the advanced tab and click the "Reset" Button.

internet-option-in-windows8.jpg

Step 4: In this step, you will see the "Reset Internet Explorer Settings" Window. This window shows you what settings will be reset, if you want to delete all personal data then you click on "Delete Personal Settings" check box for deleting all the personal data and then click the Reset Button.

reset-internet-explorer-settings-in-wind

Step 5: In this step, a new Window will appear on your screen as shown in the following image. Upon completion of the reset, click the Close Button.

reset-internet-explorer-settings-2-in-wi

after that is complete, please reboot.

if that method doesnt help, please let me know as we will try other measures

Edited by acerts04, 13 March 2014 - 12:25 AM.

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

#5 patbraley

patbraley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:11 PM

I am having a problem downloading anything from the internet. I can't even download a malware. Every time I try it says unable to download.

Is there something in my settings that is keeping from doing this or anyone know of a fix for this?

#6 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:11 PM

ok, if you can repost it with the answers to the questions i asked so i can get some more info to try and figure out whats going on with your pc. please reset internet explorer anyway

#7 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:26 PM

hello again, i am transferring my questions over from your windows 8 post if you would please answer them as best you can

what is the make and model of your pc?

when did this start happening?

did you make any software changes recently at all? new anti virus? Toolbars added to internet explorer? Windows updates? Etc.

Did you have any recent malware/virus infections?

Please try running internet explorer in "no add-ons mode" following the below instruction and see if it fixes your problem

Navigate to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer(No Addons)

shortcut.jpg

#8 patbraley

patbraley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:56 PM

Ok it did not work so I have Google Chrome and will use that instead of IE.  Thank you for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users