Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Connectivity

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 waqnis

waqnis

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:34 AM

Dell Dimension 8400

Running Win XP (Home), SP3

Wireless G PCI Adapter (Linksys)

Connection has become very unstable. I am on it now and running OK (usually that is the case when I disable it before turning off the PC at night and restart in the morning). Then I lose connectivity and it  requires very frequent "repair", renewal of IP and DNS.

Went through the forum (under the topic  Wireless Connection Problem) 10 days ago and I was guided by Cavedweller 2. Problem was resolved after going to Device Manager, uninstalling the wireless card and rebooting. 

After that it performed fine for a week.  The problem resurfaced a few days back.

No problem with LAN. 

MBAM shows no infection.

With all the time and frustration with this issue, wonder if disabling the wireless card and installation of an USB Wireless N Adapter could resolve the problem?  

Please advise.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:06 PM

The USB Wireless N Adapter could solve the problem. Your card could have gone bad and is on the verge of totally quitting. The only way to find out is to actually get an adapter and try it.

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:20 PM

What I'd do is order a USB dongle, for less than $15 you can't really lose. While you wait for it to be delivered, check the Linksys site for new drivers/software, download it, uninstall the card from device manager, uninstall the software from Add/Remove programs, shut the PC down, open the case, physically remove the card, start the PC up, once it's fully booted shut it down, put the card back in, boot up again, install the drivers/software, and see if that fixes it. That should take like 20 mins depending on boot time. I would do this because I am very comfortable opening my case and poking around in there, if you aren't then don't. just order the dongle and wait. 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 waqnis

waqnis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:46 PM

Update:

After running fine for about two hours it crashed. 

I am back after going through the "repair" drill. Based on experience the last few days the crashes will become more frequent in the hours ahead. 

#5 waqnis

waqnis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:49 PM

Based on comments above, I will try the USB adapter and report the outcome.

Greatly appreciate your assistance.

#6 waqnis

waqnis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:25 PM

CaveDweller2

According to Linksys, my driver is current.

Regards

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:50 PM

Ok I kind of figured you would, you could still do what I said other than time there's nothing to lose.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#8 Danedison

Danedison

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:14 AM

With all the time and frustration with this issue, wonder if disabling the wireless

card and installation of an USB Wireless N Adapter could resolve the problem?

please give edivise

thank,s

http://www.siconsult.com/BuildingTechnology/BT-Main.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users